HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Recreation » Gardening (Group) » Need advice on pruning. W...

Wed Apr 29, 2020, 11:20 AM

Need advice on pruning. We planted this smoketree about 2 years ago, in Spring, and

[img]?3[/img]

though everything I've read says it is a hardy tree, drought tolerant, there seems to be long sections of bare branch between the previous growth and this year's leaves. I don't know how whether to cut off this year's new growth after it blooms, or leave it as is. We have had two droughty years in succession (June-Nov each year) and I'm wondering if that's what caused the sparse growth.

Any suggestions?

Sorry for the size of the picture. I cropped and re-sized it on Imgur, but when I posted it here, the original appears. Guess I need help with that too!

3 replies, 372 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Need advice on pruning. We planted this smoketree about 2 years ago, in Spring, and (Original post)
japple Apr 29 OP
asiliveandbreathe Apr 29 #1
mopinko Apr 29 #2
Vinca Apr 30 #3

Response to japple (Original post)

Wed Apr 29, 2020, 11:59 AM

1. I thought I would look up "smoke Tree"..am not familiar with it

Love your pic..for what it is worth see link..

https://www.gardenguides.com/91833-smoke-tree.html

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Apr 29, 2020, 09:32 PM

2. prune out everything that does not fan out from the center.

it's important to get a good shape and an open crown at about this stage of growth.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 05:34 PM

3. Prune the bare branches back to just above a spot where there are little nodes that

a smaller branch will grow out of. I've got a bunch of forsythia bushes I started that will need that treatment as soon as they stop blooming.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread