HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Recreation » Gardening (Group) » Bagworms

Sun Jul 14, 2019, 12:06 PM

Bagworms

This morning I noticed that a dwarf spruce at the corner of the house is infested with bagwormsóthere are hundreds of those little brown pupae constructed of needles from the tree. I looked into treating the infestation, but itís to late in the season for spraying to be effective and I donít want to spray anyway because the tree is flanked by echinacea and Russian sage, which attract bees. So Iím going out at dusk, when the bees are hopefully home in bed, and hand picking the pupae off the tree. Wish me luck.

3 replies, 666 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Bagworms (Original post)
spinbaby Jul 2019 OP
TygrBright Jul 2019 #1
spinbaby Jul 2019 #2
spinbaby Jul 2019 #3

Response to spinbaby (Original post)

Sun Jul 14, 2019, 03:43 PM

1. Good luck, and a suggestion:

After you've picked off all the stuff you can see/reach, get your hose and a "jet" sprayer nozzle, and go over the tree from top to bottom.

helpfully,
Bright

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TygrBright (Reply #1)

Sun Jul 14, 2019, 05:33 PM

2. Good idea

Thank you.

Reply to this post

Response to spinbaby (Original post)

Sun Jul 14, 2019, 07:51 PM

3. Mixed results

On the bright side, the bees are indeed inactive at dusk. On the other hand, I spent the better part of an hour picking little brown clumps out of the tree and will have to do it for the next few evenings to get most of them. In late fall when the flowers are cut, Iíll have to rake thoroughly under the tree and, in early spring, all my evergreens will get sprayed.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread