HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Recreation » Gardening (Group) » The garden is in and the ...

Thu Jun 13, 2019, 06:26 AM

The garden is in and the bugs are already back.

What do you use for bug repellant that actually works? The current nuisance is a cucumber beetle going after my ground cherries. I bought a spray billed as safe for organic gardening, but I prefer something powdery for leafy things like cukes and squash. Has anyone discovered a safe powdery remedy?

8 replies, 756 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Vinca (Original post)

Thu Jun 13, 2019, 06:32 AM

1. sevin dust

get the little pump duster to go with it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to rampartc (Reply #1)

Thu Jun 13, 2019, 06:37 AM

2. Thanks. I had forgotten about that and I didn't see it at the garden store.

I'll have to look around. I'm trying a weird method of keeping slugs away from my kale this year. Apparently slugs hate copper so a gardener suggested surrounding each plant with copper pennies stuck in the ground. Supposedly they won't crawl over them. We'll see. Either way, a hundred years from now some gardener is going to think they hit a treasure trove. LOL.

Reply to this post

Response to Vinca (Reply #2)

Thu Jun 13, 2019, 06:50 AM

3. I've heard that slugs love beer and some gardeners sink a few shallow bowls or

jar lids in the dirt and fill them with beer. The slugs go in and drown. I have never tried that myself, though.

Reply to this post

Response to Nay (Reply #3)

Thu Jun 13, 2019, 04:14 PM

5. Last year I put a little yeast and sugar in water and got it fermenting, then put it in paper cups

buried in the ground in the kale patch. It worked at catching slugs, but it was kind of gross to clean up. I hope the pennies work.

Reply to this post

Response to Vinca (Reply #2)

Thu Jun 13, 2019, 08:23 AM

4. possibly a more organic effective insecticide

is diatomaceous earth... sevin is toxic bad for the earth and our bodies

I use dried coffee grounds to keep slugs away from plants

Reply to this post

Response to handmade34 (Reply #4)

Thu Jun 13, 2019, 04:18 PM

6. I'm looking for something powdery to sprinkle on leaves of things like cucumber and

squash plants to keep beetles away. That's how the sevin came up. Any ideas? I'd love to come up with a home remedy of some kind. I did find a spray solution I might try that was a mixture of castile soap, water, hot pepper, garlic and peppermint oil.

Reply to this post

Response to Vinca (Reply #6)

Fri Jun 14, 2019, 06:46 AM

7. any powder--even flour

will work.

Please do not use Sevin. An easy Google search: "It is not a “natural” or “organic” garden chemical. It is dangerous. It is toxic. Eating food treated with Sevin Dust or Sevin liquid will cause low levels of poisoning (see above) and in higher doses *will* cause damage and illness to the human body."

Furthermore, Sevin is made by Bayer. Detestable corporation.

For powdery mildew on cucumbers, use The Green Cure. Again, easy Google search: "GreenCure® is a potassium bicarbonate-based fungicide that has been proven to cure and prevent powdery mildew, blackspot, downy mildew, blights, molds and other plant diseases. GreenCure® is as effective or better than competitive products, can be more economical and best of all, it's kinder to you and the environment."

Green Cure has their own web site where you can learn about an organic means of controlling powdery mildew.

Reply to this post

Response to Vinca (Original post)

Fri Jun 14, 2019, 08:05 PM

8. Almost all insecticides kill all insects, including pollinators. Sevin is very bad.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread