HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Cooking & Baking (Group) » Homemade Applesauce Recip...

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 10:41 AM

Homemade Applesauce Recipe

Pretty short and sweet one this week! It's apple season, so we've got some great fresh apples going on here in Ontario! This week is this simple and delicious homemade applesauce, and next week will be some tasty breakfast muffins!

These apples were perfect and ripe, very sweet, and so didn't need any added sugar. If you're using a much more tart apple like a Granny Smith, you may wish to add some sugar. Also, we doubled down on the apple flavour by using apple cider for the liquid, but you can also use apple juice or water for the liquid to get the cooking started. Spices, bourbon, etc... are all optional of course, but we think they all a very pleasant accent to the sauce. Texture, as well, is personal choice. Ours is still slightly chunky because we like a bit of texture in there, but you can also burr mix this, or even pop it in a blender for a much smoother sauce. Just take your cinnamon stick out, first!

7 replies, 364 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Homemade Applesauce Recipe (Original post)
Saviolo Oct 31 OP
MissMillie Oct 31 #1
Saviolo Oct 31 #2
Major Nikon Oct 31 #3
Saviolo Oct 31 #4
mitch96 Nov 2 #5
Major Nikon Nov 3 #6
mitch96 Nov 3 #7

Response to Saviolo (Original post)

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 11:07 AM

1. I love homemade applesauce

I never thought much about a recipe, for me it was always trial and error, starting w/ a little water and adding more if it is needed. Adding sugar to taste.

My mom even taught me a shortcut--leave the skins on. If the apple is red, it makes a pretty pink sauce. You can pick the peels out after everything cooks.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to MissMillie (Reply #1)

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 11:12 AM

2. We scored the peels so they'd be small pieces

And left them in the final product. Lots of dietary fibre in there, and lots of flavour, too!

Neither hubby nor I are big fans of really sweet stuff, so this recipe has no added sugar (aside from the somewhat sweet (but also unsweetened) apple cider) and the results were still very sweet.

Reply to this post

Response to Saviolo (Reply #2)

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 11:58 AM

3. I always leave the peel on

I like to do a mix of sweet and sour apples and add no supplemental sugars. Adding a pinch of salt makes the sweet apples taste sweeter. Just a bit of nutmeg and/ or cinnamon is all I add. I cook the apples by steaming them.

Reply to this post

Response to Major Nikon (Reply #3)

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 12:28 PM

4. More or less exactly what we've done here.

Except we add a little dash of lemon juice to discourage oxidation, and add a cinnamon stick instead of a pinch of ground cinnamon, to just let it infuse the sauce. There are a million little changes to make to what, at first, looks like such a simple recipe!

Reply to this post

Response to Major Nikon (Reply #3)

Sat Nov 2, 2019, 11:26 PM

5. "I cook the apples by steaming them."

I made apple sauce the other day for the first time.. Like you I used a combo of tart and sweet apples.. I threw them in the pressure cooker for 3 min... perfect. I must admit the skins did not break down... I guess the skins with aa pass thru a food processor would fix that. In one jar I put in a table spoon of tahini just for shits and grins.. came out good!
m

Reply to this post

Response to mitch96 (Reply #5)

Sun Nov 3, 2019, 07:19 AM

6. I use an immersion blender

Itís easier than using a food processor.

Reply to this post

Response to Major Nikon (Reply #6)

Sun Nov 3, 2019, 08:39 PM

7. "immersion blender"

Great idea!!! I'll check it out next time...
m

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread