HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Cooking & Baking (Group) » A Hefty Steak That's Ligh...

Fri Aug 10, 2018, 02:21 PM

A Hefty Steak That's Light Enough for August

Lean and meaty, a center-cut lamb leg steak is done in minutes, and makes a rustic-yet-elegant meal paired with an olive relish.

'Itís a shame Americans donít eat much lamb, as in summer, it is especially delicious grilled.

Of all the various cuts of lamb, most can be made into chops. Some, like rib chops (from the rack) or loin chops (which look like miniature T-bone steaks), are expensive, but there are cheaper options, like shoulder and sirloin chops.

Among those reasonably priced chops is the lean, meaty center-cut leg steak. A thick slice with a round bone in the center, it is the easiest to prepare, especially compared with a butterflied whole boneless leg, which can be difficult to cook evenly and carve. Just ask your butcher to cut one for you if there isnít one on display: She will happily oblige.'>>>

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/10/dining/lamb-leg-steak-recipe.html?

Lamb Leg Steak With Olive Relish and Tomatoes
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019455-lamb-leg-steak-with-olive-relish-and-tomatoes

3 replies, 221 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply A Hefty Steak That's Light Enough for August (Original post)
elleng Aug 10 OP
dixiegrrrrl Aug 10 #1
elleng Aug 10 #2
dixiegrrrrl Aug 10 #3

Response to elleng (Original post)

Fri Aug 10, 2018, 08:46 PM

1. I have never seen lamb in a grocery store.

Maybe some store like Publix might carry it, but Winn-Dixie, used to be known for its meat, never saw lamb. And certainly food Lion, albertson's, Safeway etc back in the day.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to dixiegrrrrl (Reply #1)

Fri Aug 10, 2018, 08:53 PM

2. WOW, but what do I know?

I've been northeast-ish forever.

I suspect my folks found lamb in Florida, Publix likely, as lamb was one of Dad's favorites.

Reply to this post

Response to elleng (Reply #2)

Fri Aug 10, 2018, 10:04 PM

3. I figured it had to be found somewhere in the US..

Beef and fish are big sellers on the West Coast, and pork/chicken big here in the South. It isn't that people around here don't eat beef, it is just that chicken is much less expensive.

I remember as a kid that "lamb at Easter" was sort of a thing, but the marketing word was "veal"and as an adult I sometimes thought about tracking it down for a taste test.
I still have fantasies of taking that 4 hour trek to Mobile and back to do a splurge shopping at Publix, and "Fresh Market" which is kinda of Whole Foods mets Trader Joe's.

Damn...I miss trader Joe's.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread