HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Cooking & Baking (Group) » Guardian: How to tell if...

Fri Jan 6, 2012, 09:41 PM

Guardian: How to tell if your olive oil is the real thing

Adulterated and even fake olive oil is widespread, according to studies. Just how big is the problem, and how can you avoid being caught out?

The answer, according to Tom Mueller in a book out this month, is very often not. In Extra Virginity: the Sublime and Scandalous World of Olive Oil, Mueller, an American who lives in Italy, lays bare the workings of an industry prey, he argues, to hi-tech, industrial-scale fraud. The problem, he says, is that good olive oil is difficult, time-consuming and expensive to make, but easy, quick and cheap to doctor.

"So how can consumers best ensure they're not being ripped off? Ridgeway recommends paying a sensible price. Unfortunately, a 50cl bottle costing 15 is, on balance, "less likely to have problems" than one costing 2. North urges people never to buy olive oil in a clear bottle ("It oxidises and goes rancid far faster", and to buy from somewhere you can taste it first.

Both he and Ridegway, though, stress the prime importance of buying young. "Look for a harvest date," North says. "They're starting to appear now, albeit on only a few bottles, and they'll tell you how old the oil is. It's not an absolute guarantee of quality, but half the battle."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/jan/04/olive-oil-real-thing

5 replies, 2321 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Guardian: How to tell if your olive oil is the real thing (Original post)
supernova Jan 2012 OP
NRaleighLiberal Jan 2012 #1
supernova Jan 2012 #2
shanti Jan 2012 #5
no_hypocrisy Jan 2012 #3
kestrel91316 Jan 2012 #4

Response to supernova (Original post)

Sat Jan 7, 2012, 01:12 AM

1. Yes, we read that...awful, isn't it. We only buy dated oil.....

it isn't cheap, but EVOO certainly is wonderful. sometimes you can find it at TJMAXX for good prices, but I am suspicious - and it is often out of code.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to NRaleighLiberal (Reply #1)

Sat Jan 7, 2012, 02:04 AM

2. The way I read that is

the absolute safest is probably California oil in tins and with a date, but do those come with dates? I hadn't noticed. I hadn't bought tins before, but I might start.

I know some of the ones at Southern Season have dates on them, but not too sure now.

Reply to this post

Response to supernova (Reply #2)

Fri Jan 13, 2012, 09:03 PM

5. we are lucky here in

the central california valley to have access to some terrific EVOO from smaller family farms. of course, you will pay a premium. i can usually find them at our local Bel Air/Raley's markets.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 11, 2012, 08:56 PM

3. At Fairway, they have samples of 20 EVOO and vinegars to taste with

hot fresh baguettes. You know what you're buying.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 11, 2012, 09:07 PM

4. So, if normal mortals can afford EVOO, it's the real thing.

50 cl = half a liter = about a PINT. For L15 which is about $30.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread