HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Cooking & Baking (Group) » I need suggestions: I roa...

Fri Dec 24, 2021, 11:44 AM

I need suggestions: I roasted a chicken yesterday. Cut off white meat for a sandwich and then:

I boiled the dark meat and the whole carcass for soup. Did the bone cleaning, cooked and added carrots, celery and cooked rice. I always par boil celery and carrots.
The broth was bland so I added 2 bouillon cubes to the broth. Saved the white meat for today and had the soup for dinner last night. It was so salty, I was up drinking water all night.
I still have at least one meal of soup, was planning it for dinner tonight. Freezing the rest.

Yikes, the salt! I checked all over the internet for a cure. Anyone have a good idea how to remove some of the salt from the broth? None of the hints seemed helpful.
I seem to remember that my mother added a couple of slices of bread and boiled the soup for a few minutes and them removed the bread. Does this work?
Do you have any ideas as to how I can save this soup from the disposal?

Thanks for any help and Happy Holidays.

22 replies, 1200 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 22 replies Author Time Post
Reply I need suggestions: I roasted a chicken yesterday. Cut off white meat for a sandwich and then: (Original post)
Paper Roses Dec 2021 OP
tikka Dec 2021 #1
NoRethugFriends Dec 2021 #2
mitch96 Dec 2021 #11
NoRethugFriends Jan 2022 #19
mitch96 Jan 2022 #21
Demsrule86 Jan 2022 #17
Post removed Jan 2022 #18
AndyS Dec 2021 #3
Phoenix61 Dec 2021 #4
Historic NY Dec 2021 #5
Cracklin Charlie Dec 2021 #6
2naSalit Dec 2021 #7
Hugh_Lebowski Dec 2021 #8
cachukis Dec 2021 #9
DarwinsRetriever Dec 2021 #10
Paper Roses Dec 2021 #12
Retrograde Dec 2021 #13
PoindexterOglethorpe Dec 2021 #14
Paper Roses Dec 2021 #15
PoindexterOglethorpe Dec 2021 #16
dem in texas Jan 2022 #20
Marthe48 Jan 2022 #22

Response to Paper Roses (Original post)

Fri Dec 24, 2021, 11:49 AM

1. Add a potato when you heat it back up.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Dec 24, 2021, 11:52 AM

2. I suggest not killing defenseless animals.

Reply to this post

Response to NoRethugFriends (Reply #2)

Fri Dec 24, 2021, 03:35 PM

11. Tnx for sharing.. how do you get rid of excess salt in vegan soup?...nt

Reply to this post

Response to mitch96 (Reply #11)

Wed Jan 5, 2022, 11:16 PM

19. Why is it in there in the first place? (nt)

Reply to this post

Response to NoRethugFriends (Reply #19)

Thu Jan 6, 2022, 11:37 AM

21. Thats not the point. How would you remove too much salt? That's the question...nt

Reply to this post

Response to NoRethugFriends (Reply #2)

Wed Jan 5, 2022, 09:04 PM

17. Why do you need to post this sort of thing?

Reply to this post

Response to Demsrule86 (Reply #17)

Fri Dec 24, 2021, 11:56 AM

3. Can't help with the soup you have but in the future

toss the bullion cubes, they're almost all salt. Try Better than Bullion. It's a paste and the first ingredient is either chicken or beef. Keeps forever in the fridge and isn't salty. I also use Kitchen Accomplice liquid concentrate, again main ingredient is chicken or beef. The KA makes a more clear broth but the flavor is chicken, not salt.

Of course since I began making my own dogfood using chicken leg quarters (10 lbs for $2.90) I have all the home made stock I can use--more in fact! At least a gallon a week . . .

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 24, 2021, 11:56 AM

4. It was probably slices of potato. I don't see how the

bread wouldn’t fall apart. You could always use it for cooking rice and/or quinoa.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 24, 2021, 11:57 AM

5. Cut the broth with some water....

I never use bouillon any more found the unsalted stock was the best solution Kitchen Basics or Pacific Foods both have unsalted 65mg or less . Pacific has a low sodium one also 40mg Organic which I use most of the time.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 24, 2021, 11:59 AM

6. Could you remove some broth,

And replace with water?

Save that salty broth, add water, and make some more soup later?

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 24, 2021, 12:00 PM

7. Could save it for gravy stock...

Forego the salt when making to gravy or sauce of whatever kind.

Or add more potato and carrots, maybe some onion.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 24, 2021, 12:05 PM

8. Simple answer ... add more water and veggies

and maybe some of the white meat you set aside if there's any left. Your perception of saltiness is just a matter of concentration so you just need to cut the concentration.

Might want to cook the veggies first in a bowl in the microwave. Add just enough water to cover and nuke until done to the softness you want, strain (or not) and add to the soup.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 24, 2021, 12:26 PM

9. Potato quarters. After potatoes are done, take out and

do again. Keep making mashed potatoes until the soup has lost its overly salt taste.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 24, 2021, 01:06 PM

10. Always add your own salt, do not add anything that contains salt

This allows you to control salt. With me, I only use chicken breasts (wife doesn't like dark meat). I put a bit of oil in the pot, Put the chicken (salt and pepper) pieces in. Fry for a while, add chopped onion and celery, fry a bit more. Turn the chicken and fry some more then add water. You know the rest.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 26, 2021, 03:41 PM

12. Hi to all who bailed me out with the salty soup.

I cut up a big potato and boiled it in the soup for about 30 minutes. Cooked more carrots and celery, separately, no salt.
Tasted the broth and it was far less salty so I added the veggies and more rice and everything was fine.
I think the potato did the trick.

Thanks, this was a big batch made for dinner and to freeze the rest in 3 meal size portions.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 27, 2021, 04:40 AM

13. For future reference

Do NOT add any salt to your broth or stock while cooking. When you serve it add a pinch of kosher salt - the larger salt crystals dissolve (relatively) slowly and fool you into thinking it’s saltier than it actually is.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 27, 2021, 11:33 PM

14. Did you add any other herbs or spices?

I'd be adding bay leaf, marjoram, thyme, celery seed (unless I'd used real celery in the first place, which I see you did) tarragon, ground black pepper, maybe even some sage. Possibly some rosemary, which is not something I usually have on hand.

Two bouillon cubes should not have made it all that salty, I wouldn't think. But in any case, you really needed other seasonings.

Here's a somewhat different chicken soup recipe, I call Chicken of Muchness. It's greatly adapted from a Middle Eastern chicken recipe I got some 40 years ago. The original wasn't a soup, but it evolved to this. Notice that the most important seasoning is cinnamon sticks, and that diced and crushed tomatoes are part of this. I right now have about 8 or 10 portions frozen, which I will happily spend the next month or so eating.

Chicken of Muchness

2 chicken leg quarters
3 or 4 carrots
2 cans of diced or crushed tomatoes, or maybe one of each
1 medium onion
3 or 4 cups of chicken broth
3 bay leaves
3 cinnamon sticks
½ to ¾ tsp each of celery salt, marjoram, thyme, basil, and tarragon
olive oil
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons flour

Bring the chicken to a boil with just enough water to cover. Turn heat down to simmer and skim off scum and fat that comes to the surface. This will take ten to fifteen minutes.

Once skimming is done, put the bay leaves, peeled carrots, and cinnamon sticks in pot with chicken, cover and let simmer for an hour.

Remove carrots and chicken. Let them cool while you sauté the sliced onion in a little olive oil. You want them to get a little brown. Put in soup pot. Add the tomatoes.

Make a roux with the butter and flour in that same pan, then add a cup or two of broth. Stir and let it thicken over the heat until it seems thick enough. Pour into pot.

Cut up the carrots, strip the chicken from the bones and return to soup pot. Now add the other seasonings. You will probably need to add more chicken broth to have the right amount of liquid.

Cover and simmer for an hour or so.

I used to include green pepper, but eventually realized that it didn't really freeze well. If you want, separately make rice towards the end of the cooking time, put some in a bowl, then add the soup.

This also sizes up well. The batch I made the other day used three large chicken leg quarters. a large can of crushed tomatoes, and a small can of diced tomatoes. You can adjust the other ingredients as needed. I have something like eight batches in the freezer right now.

Reply to this post

Response to PoindexterOglethorpe (Reply #14)

Thu Dec 30, 2021, 06:20 PM

15. Thanks for this. Will bookmark for my next batch. Question:

Cinnamon sticks? Never heard of them as an additive to chicken soup. The rest sounds great and different than my version. Might be tempted to leave them out. What say you?

Reply to this post

Response to Paper Roses (Reply #15)

Thu Dec 30, 2021, 09:51 PM

16. No. Do not leave them out.

Notice that there's no garlic, and there are diced and crushed tomatoes. It's a completely different flavor profile from any other chicken soup out there.

Again, this is an adaptation of a middle eastern chicken recipe, and I alas no longer have the original. It was quite different, although the cinnamon sticks and tomatoes were already there.

You could simply scale it down by boiling up just one chicken leg quarter, and reducing all the other amounts appropriately, in case you don't like the way this turns out. Too bad you don't live near me, because I still have about 8 portions in the freezer and I'd happily give you one.

As for the whole "bouillon cubes are mostly salt" thing, while they are high in salt, I used a total of three for what wound up to be around 20 servings. How many servings you'll get really are a factor here.

If you ever get around to making it, let me know how you liked it. It's probably inevitable that you will tweak it for your own tastes.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 6, 2022, 03:07 AM

20. I made stock too (from remains of supermarket roasted chicken).

Had piece of breast meat and a wing left, plus bones. Put all in crockpot with chopped onion, 2 stalks chopped celery, one bullion cube, 3 bay leaves plus about 5-6 cups water. Let cook on low all day, added pepper, a little balsamic vinegar. Strained the stock, saved the chicken meat discarded the bones. Have a quart of the stock in the fridge.

Have this good stock and I am craving some chicken gumbo soup. Need to go to Cox Farms tomorrow for some some fresh okra, might not have any this time of year, will have to settle on frozen. Will finish the soup tomorrow with okra, a can petite diced tomatoes, 1 half boneless chicken breast meat diced, and some already cooked rice. Few shakes of tabasco sauce and other seasoning as needed.

When soup is ready, spoon in bowl and sprinkle on a little file' powder.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 6, 2022, 02:00 PM

22. Heat up the soup

peel a potato, and put it whole into the pot. Cook until the potato is fork tender, but not falling apart, and remove. This is an old remedy from an old cookbook. Hope by now you found a solution.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread