HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Cooking & Baking (Group) » What's the secret for cre...

Sun May 9, 2021, 01:21 PM

What's the secret for creamy, homemade ice cream and frozen yogurt?

We got a Cuisinart ice cream maker and I made the first batch this morning. It was their simple vanilla ice cream recipe which didn't require cooking and didn't have any eggs. Just tasted it after it's been in the freezer a few hours and the flavor is fine, but the texture is a little grainy. Any experienced ice cream makers here who have overcome this particular problem?

7 replies, 700 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply What's the secret for creamy, homemade ice cream and frozen yogurt? (Original post)
Vinca May 9 OP
kedrys May 9 #1
Vinca May 9 #2
Diraven May 9 #3
WHITT May 9 #4
Vinca May 9 #5
dem in texas May 9 #6
Vinca May 9 #7

Response to Vinca (Original post)

Sun May 9, 2021, 01:27 PM

1. Try using superfine sugar or powdered sugar

Also, consider using allulose if your ice cream ends up freezing solid.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to kedrys (Reply #1)

Sun May 9, 2021, 01:34 PM

2. Thanks. I've never heard of allulose - I'll check it out.

Reply to this post

Sun May 9, 2021, 01:50 PM

3. The grit is ice crystals

The crystals will be smaller the faster it freezes, so don't spend too much time tasting it after it's mixed, just get it in the freezer as fast as you can. A colder freezer helps too, that's how the commercial
Ice cream is so creamy, they have the advantage of very cold industrial freezers.

Reply to this post

Sun May 9, 2021, 01:56 PM

4. I Remember Chris Kimball Discussing This

and him saying it had to do with how quickly the base can be frozen, too slow results in larger ice crystals which taste grainy, faster and small crystals that are soother.

So I checked his old sites:

Ice cream is mostly water, which freezes during the churning process and thickens the base so that it becomes solid and refreshing. The key is controlling the size of the ice crystals that form as the water freezes and that can continue to grow over time in the freezer. When ice cream is grainy, itís because the crystals are noticeably large, while smooth, high-quality ice cream contains ice crystals so small that our tongues canít detect them.

More tips here:

[link:www.cooksillustrated.com/articles/2419-how-to-make-pro-caliber-ice-cream|

Reply to this post

Response to WHITT (Reply #4)

Sun May 9, 2021, 03:01 PM

5. Thanks. I've got a couple of his cookbooks and I'll have to see what's in there.

Reply to this post

Sun May 9, 2021, 03:13 PM

6. MAKING ICE CREAM

I am now on my second ice maker, been making ice cream for years. One thing you must do with the little counter top ice cream maker is to have the tub and paddle frozen before using and the ice cream mixture thoroughly chilled in the Fridge for several hours before putting in the ice cream maker.

I like to make peach ice cream when the peaches are in season; need very ripe peaches. Right before serving, I like to add a few tablespoons of bourbon to the mixture. Been using condensed milk in my recipes, makes the ice cream rich and creamy, but never the wrote the recipes down. About time to get the little ice cream maker out; will write down more of my recipes.

http://www.jalapenocafe.com/recipes/month/month6.html

Reply to this post

Response to dem in texas (Reply #6)

Sun May 9, 2021, 05:26 PM

7. I didn't freeze the paddle. I'll try that next time.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread