HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Health » Asperger's/PDD (Group) » Took many steps to get he...

Mon Jun 15, 2015, 01:42 PM

Took many steps to get here, but I have finally left

http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/real-estate/2015/06/14/took-many-steps-get-here-but-have-finally-left/tCLgoa8t3BIStVJfetAdpI/story.html

To anyone else, the plain, white triple-decker on an unassuming street is nothing special. To anyone else, it is just another building in Greater Boston where three unrelated adults are living as roommates, common in our cut-throat housing market. To anyone else, there is nothing extraordinary at all.

To my family and me, however, this house is more than just another apartment. It is more than just three young-ish adults living on their own, because one of those adults will be me. Underemployed, overeducated, autistic me. And nine years after graduating from college, I have finally left home....

ďAh,Ē you say, ďbut those statistics donít refer to you. They refer to real autistic people who canít talk, much less go to college. Youíre much too high-functioning for real problems.Ē

Leaving aside the incredibly ableist language of functioning labels and the fact that there are plenty of people in college or pursuing college who do not speak, um, Iím still autistic. Through years of therapy and very hard work, I am able to hide it in the outside world, but I cannot disguise it at home. Home is where my special interests flourish, where my sensory sensitivities are by necessity accommodated, where I can stop making the unnatural eye contact and small talk and just be me, faults and fortes together.

2 replies, 2241 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Took many steps to get here, but I have finally left (Original post)
KamaAina Jun 2015 OP
merrily Jul 2015 #1
senz Aug 2015 #2

Response to KamaAina (Original post)

Mon Jul 20, 2015, 12:56 PM

1. Best wishes for her success.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to KamaAina (Original post)

Mon Aug 17, 2015, 11:40 AM

2. Inspiring story.

I hope the world will be kind to her and that she'll find comfort and peace at home.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread