HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Health » Asperger's/PDD (Group) » Ten Things an Autistic Ad...

Thu May 21, 2015, 11:53 PM

Ten Things an Autistic Adult Wants You to Know

No, not me.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/ten-things-an-autistic-adult-wants-you-to-know-1431463652

1. I remember conversations from when I was two and phone numbers I havenít seen in two years. But I need direct support in the grocery store and when crossing the street. The first sounds impossible and the second ridiculous to most people, but itís the only normal I know.

2. Just because I have the words to type it doesnít mean I have the words to say it, and when I do say it, itís rarely as I wish I could. Sometimes, I can explain my quirks; other times, I need a keyboard and some time.

3. I never like being too loud or interrupting or getting upset at a noise, especially in public. It takes a lot of effort to manage my interactions and reactionsóand sometimes I still fail.

4. If I ask a question or say I donít get it, it means Iím confused. Please donít make me feel worse. I donít laugh when others flop at recalling a date or the spelling of a wordóthings that are effortless for me.

Two years?! I remember my phone number from Cockeysville, Md. in the early '70s: (301) 666-8965!

2 replies, 2056 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Ten Things an Autistic Adult Wants You to Know (Original post)
KamaAina May 2015 OP
lumberjack_jeff May 2015 #1
notemason May 2015 #2

Response to KamaAina (Original post)

Fri May 22, 2015, 12:20 AM

1. Something I've learned to do from working with people on the spectrum.

Ask the question, then shut the hell up. I've gotten comfortable with long silences, and I'll get a thoughtful answer if I don't interrupt him while he's composing it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to lumberjack_jeff (Reply #1)

Fri May 22, 2015, 04:29 PM

2. That is a wise observation, lumberjack

As an older Asperger I would expect you to find those answers rich with deep insights.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread