HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Health » Addiction & Recovery (Group) » Another challenge this we...

Wed Jul 24, 2019, 04:01 PM

Another challenge this weekend

It's our annual camping weekend with my wife's family. It traditionally includes drinking around the campfire every evening. This will be my first sober outing. I used to say, seriously, "Alcohol makes camping tolerable." I really hate camp[ing. We'll see how this goes.

6 replies, 339 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Another challenge this weekend (Original post)
bif Jul 24 OP
irisblue Jul 24 #1
bif Jul 25 #2
bif Aug 4 #3
Rhiannon12866 Aug 9 #4
bif Aug 9 #6
Stuart G Aug 9 #5

Response to bif (Original post)

Wed Jul 24, 2019, 04:06 PM

1. Ok. Do you have a survivial plan?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to irisblue (Reply #1)

Thu Jul 25, 2019, 08:32 AM

2. Well, let's put it this way

I'm not going to drink. I'll be surrounded by family members that I simply won't let down. It's just a matter of trying to feel comfortable in a situation that always involved alcohol. So I have a bunch of things planned to make it a fun weekend--sketching (I may even bring my painting stuff), reading, and good food including tasty desserts.

Reply to this post

Response to bif (Original post)

Sun Aug 4, 2019, 10:46 AM

3. Made it through the weekend okay

Didn't do any drinking. But I avoided activities that normally involved alcohol for me. I skipped the bocci, snd evenings around the campfire. I stayed at our campsite and read a lot. Went on a couple hikes. And in the evenings, I went to bed early. If any of my wife's relatives thought I was being anti-social, tough. I'm looking out for me. And while it wasn't a great weekend, I proved to myself that I can do this!

Reply to this post

Response to bif (Reply #3)

Fri Aug 9, 2019, 05:19 AM

4. Good for you!

I tend to avoid gatherings that are likely to involve drinking unless I'm with supportive friends or relatives and do more things with sober friends, and I've been at this since 2008. I don't know if you go to meetings or have friends who also don't drink, but it's been a real relief for me to do things where it's not even an issue. Hang in there, it does get easier.

Reply to this post

Response to Rhiannon12866 (Reply #4)

Fri Aug 9, 2019, 06:44 PM

6. Well, a lot of our friends drink. However

I didn't hang out with what you'd call drinkers. I was the one who was a heavy drinker. So I didn't have to go through that whole thing about finding new friends. And all our old friends understand that I'm not drinking these days. So it's not really an issue.

I do go to SMART meetings, but I don't hang around with those folks. It's a great group, by the way. Very supportive and full of characters. Look forward to the weekly meetings.

Reply to this post

Response to bif (Reply #3)

Fri Aug 9, 2019, 03:49 PM

5. We got to look out for ..."me" i have always had an issue with that.

A sober "me" is a good person. Not sober "me" is very difficult to be with. Congratulations on making it through the weekend. Great accomplishment...and and...please,...take care that nice fellow..who you work with. His name is "me."

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread