HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » Feminists (Group) » Proposal to Amend DU TOS ...

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 08:04 PM

Proposal to Amend DU TOS Language

This discussion thread is pinned.
The hosts of four groups on DU, Feminists Group, History of Feminism, Feminism and Diversity and Women's Rights have come together to ask for your input on the topic of sexist and misogynistic posts on DU and whether the language of the Terms of Service provide sufficient guidance on whether such posts are acceptable.

The Terms of Service on Democratic Underground are absent of any mention of sexism or misogyny directly. There is a prohibition of bigotry based on gender but we have seen that not all DUers interpret this language to include sexism and misogyny. We are advocating for these bigotries to be explicitly added to the Terms of Service on DU, to aid in our struggles to eliminate these bigotries from DU. We request your input and your support is critical. Spread the news and show your support here:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/12565203

16 replies, 6207 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to obamanut2012 (Original post)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 08:15 PM

1. I would rather cringe at the occasional word

than have to cope with a banned words list.

However, I would also love to see blatantly sexist posts that don't even use the mean and nasty sexual slurs be hidden more consistently than they are now.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Warpy (Reply #1)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 08:22 PM

2. No one is calling for a banned words list

Reply to this post

Response to obamanut2012 (Reply #2)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 08:32 PM

3. Well I do recall a jury about using the word bitch as a verb.

As a feminist, I did not think it was sexist, I use it all the time. I believe that terminology laying out inappropriate language should be a general one addressing all forms of bigotry. If the current one does not do that, I think amending it would be fine.

Reply to this post

Response to pennylane100 (Reply #3)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 08:34 PM

4. I do not understand why you are also talking about a banned word list

It does not state that in the pinned thread. Sexism and misogyny is not mentioned in TOS. Should it be?

Reply to this post

Response to obamanut2012 (Reply #4)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 10:02 PM

9. I was merely replying to your statement that nobody is talking about a banned word list.

Your post was in reply to a post by Warpy who did not want a banned word list. I thought I would add a little lighthearted commentary about my experience on a jury about a word that maybe someone thought should have been on a banned word list.

On a more serious note, I must admit I have not read the TOS and I do not know how it describes dealing with inappropriate language. However, if there is such a clause, it should be inclusive so that no group feels left out, but, and this is where I agree with Warpy, not so restrictive that a banned word list is necessary. The instance that I mentioned where someone found a word offensive was not used in a derogatory way. It was not a slur that was directed at anyone, but a fairly common expression that had a double meaning.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 09:03 PM

5. Yes, I think sexism and misogyny should be in the TOS

But as you can see, there's confusion about what that actually means, even among feminists.

Someone wrote a post recently about how individuals think in gendered terms, which may make it more difficult for some people to recognize sexism and misogyny than racism and homophobia.

It's also true that some people see sexism and misogyny when it's NOT there.

So, while I absolutely agree that sexism and misogyny should be in the TOS, perhaps, it should be spelled out more clearly.

Reply to this post

Response to Lisa D (Reply #5)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 09:16 PM

6. The current TOS gives some examples for the other guidelines.

Part of this process could be to help with what that could look like for an amended TOS. I think there are probably a few that we could get some consensus on.

Reply to this post

Response to Starry Messenger (Reply #6)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 09:43 PM

8. LLP has some great examples at the link in the pinned OP

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 09:37 PM

7. Specific language on this is definitely needed

Admin also needs to spell out specific language on bullying/harassment.

Reply to this post

Response to LadyHawkAZ (Reply #7)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 10:22 PM

10. Agreed.

The lack of specific language on any number of issues can be construed as endorsement. Sexism and bullying are both areas where refinement of the TOS would be helpful.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 4, 2012, 12:19 AM

11. I haven't been up-to-date on what's been happening.

Reply to this post

Response to Neoma (Reply #11)

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 06:20 PM

13. Count me in for any support needed. nt

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 10:10 AM

14. Would this include sexism towards men as well?

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 30, 2013, 07:31 AM

15. What happened to this proposal?...I see it's dated December 2, 2012. n/t

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 25, 2015, 12:58 AM

16. Suggestions on change up f/ vote?

That there seems to be confusion on what constitutes "prohibition of bigotry based on gender" is distressing in itself. Do folks not know what bigotry is? Or us 'gender' the confusing word?

Care needs to be taken on wording. Some are easily offended, some too easily. Bullying should be the big no-no but I imagine there are a few who would disagree on its threshhold.

Apparently a revision needs to be made. I suggest a poll on the wording (2 or 3 revisions).

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread