HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » Feminists (Group) » International woman's day

Fri Mar 7, 2014, 02:48 PM

International woman's day

I am a female lawyer about to partner with another female lawyer in our practice. We hired yet another female lawyer to draft some documents and the first draft came over filled with male pronouns.

I remember arguing in 1981 as a college freshman that the use of male pronouns was sexist and I am not a 'he'. Here we are 33 years later and I get to explain it again to a woman my own age.

Pisses me off.

B

BTW I have been a lurker at DU for six years. While I look at the site almost every day, you can see by the number of posts, that I'm not a prolific poster. This is my first discussion thread.

1 replies, 1314 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply International woman's day (Original post)
Borchkins Mar 2014 OP
Gormy Cuss Mar 2014 #1

Response to Borchkins (Original post)

Fri Mar 7, 2014, 07:12 PM

1. It's amazing how often I see generic text with only male pronouns.

Through my professional career I've worked in environments where we had to use either neutral phrasing or reference male and female pronouns in our writings except when we knew the preferred gender pronoun of a person.

Using male pronouns as generic these days is as dumb as using plural pronouns when referring to an individual.

Welcome to Feminists Group.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread