HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Offbeat » Creative Speculation (Group) » Is the internet dying?

Sun May 16, 2021, 04:48 PM

Is the internet dying?

Seems to me that traffic has lightened up on just about every site I frequent, even DU. eBay I can't find what I'm looking for. Twitter is fading. Maybe America is fatigued from 4 years of MAGAt lunatics? Or is it back to work and life?

I'm puzzled too .... plenty of jobs but no workers, yet the economy is still not fully recovered. Lagging spending but inflation? And not as much travel to work as 2019, for example, but gasoline use is down and prices are up.

12 replies, 1391 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to bucolic_frolic (Original post)

Sun May 16, 2021, 04:50 PM

1. I'm not sure about the "internet" but eBay has been in decline for many years nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Shermann (Reply #1)

Mon May 17, 2021, 09:28 PM

11. FeeBay is comatose, a moribund skeleton of nonsensical rules and obligations

that diminish sales to the point where it's not worth it, and delivers junk to your mailbox that you never should have bought.

Reply to this post

Sun May 16, 2021, 04:53 PM

2. The internet is more than the web.

If you stream programming, you're using the internet.

Reply to this post

Sun May 16, 2021, 05:01 PM

3. It's spring, there are vaccines, people might be venturing outside

Or like me they read the entire internet during lockdown. Hee.

Also, less to rant about here cuz... Joe is pretty solid. So, maybe itís healthy if indeed itís lighter.

But obviously idk. Guess we need stats to see if itís indeed in decline.

Reply to this post

Response to soothsayer (Reply #3)

Sun May 16, 2021, 05:22 PM

4. IMO, the internet is the main conduit of commerce and communications.

Dying? You have to be joking.

What's dying is cable TV, since folks figured out how to use STREAMING for all of television broadcasting, movie rentals, and sports. That's how it is. If anything, it's growing by leaps and bounds. A big part of "infrastructure" is upgrading the internet grid BECAUSE the physical components are reaching their limits of operational efficiency.

Reply to this post

Sun May 16, 2021, 06:05 PM

5. I've always felt that the Internet was a passing fad. :) nt

Reply to this post

Response to Binkie The Clown (Reply #5)

Sun May 16, 2021, 06:19 PM

7. * Snork *

Reply to this post

Response to Scrivener7 (Reply #7)

Sun May 16, 2021, 08:51 PM

10. No joke.

As soon as global warming gets bad enough and civilization collapses, it's definitely the end of the Internet. It will be just like Homo Sapiens; brief blip in the history of the planet.

Reply to this post

Sun May 16, 2021, 06:07 PM

6. That's a dumb question.

What in the world would you think would replace the internet? Different specific websites or companies might go away, but the internet as a whole?

Reply to this post

Sun May 16, 2021, 07:57 PM

8. check this link from the 90s

Reply to this post

Response to d_r (Reply #8)

Sun May 16, 2021, 08:05 PM

9. Thanks, I needed that back then

While I'm glad of the breadth of knowledge and expertise I've gained, it's been costly in time and money. But I guess I'll have to live with it.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 28, 2021, 10:58 AM

12. I think one reason internet use has faded is the cancelling of many of the propaganda and

highly manipulative AstroTurf and bot generated comments and posts. The big dominate sites have been forced to remove this kind of traffic in particular for misinformation about the Big Lie and COVID, such as facebook, twitter, reddit and even those news provider sites with large comment content such as thehill, politico, WaPo.
But yes I also agree, there is a lot of disillusionment with any purpose for posting and participating, burn out.

In other words I see less of the constantly repeated conservative talking point lies and and what used to look to me like posts to make liberals and progressives seem as stupid and uninformed as the conservatives. By that I mean the posts that aren't liberal or progressive ideas but match the talking point attacks about who and what a progressive or liberal is.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread