HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Foreign Affairs & National Security » Israel/Palestine (Group) » Rashida Tlaib Has Her His...

Thu May 16, 2019, 12:59 AM

Rashida Tlaib Has Her History Wrong

On Friday, Representative Rashida Tlaib was attacked by President Donald Trump for a “horrible and highly insensitive statement on the Holocaust” and for having “tremendous hatred of … the Jewish people.” Trump’s off-base attack distracted from the actual problems with Tlaib’s account of the Arab-Israeli conflict, in which she deployed deliberately imprecise language, misleading her listeners about the early history of the conflict in Palestine and misrepresenting its present and possible future.

Tlaib told the hosts of the Yahoo News podcast Skullduggery that when she remembers the Holocaust, it has a “calming” effect on her to think that “it was my ancestors, Palestinians, who lost their land, and some lost their lives, their livelihood, their human dignity; their existence in some ways had been wiped out … all of it was in the name of trying to create a safe haven for Jews, post the Holocaust, post the tragedy and horrific persecution of Jews across the world at that time.” She was, she said, “humbled by the fact that it was [my Palestinian] ancestors that had to suffer for that to happen.”

But the historical reality was quite different from what Tlaib described: The Palestinians indirectly, and in some ways directly, aided in the destruction of European Jewry.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/05/rashida-tlaib-misled-skullduggery-listeners-israel/589417/

3 replies, 2095 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Rashida Tlaib Has Her History Wrong (Original post)
Mosby May 2019 OP
elleng May 2019 #1
wcmagumba May 2019 #2
still_one May 2019 #3

Response to Mosby (Original post)

Thu May 16, 2019, 01:07 AM

1. This is true:'Her ancestors, Palestinians, ( ) lost their land, and some lost their lives,

their livelihood, their human dignity; their existence in some ways had been wiped out.'

MY ancestors were among the Europeans who fled Europe; happily they came to America.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu May 16, 2019, 01:19 AM

2. Weird thing just happened...

I was reading this thread while listening to jazz guitar radio on Pandora...and what do they play other
than the theme from Exodus....hmmm....

Reply to this post

Thu May 16, 2019, 01:30 AM

3. Her use of the word "calming in association with the holocaust is disgusting.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread