HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Environment & Energy » Vegetarian, Vegan and Animal Rights (Group) » EPA drops protection for ...

Fri Aug 9, 2019, 09:13 PM

EPA drops protection for wild salmon in Alaska Bristol Bay

The Environmental Protection Agency told staff scientists that it was no longer opposing a controversial Alaska mining project that could devastate one of the world's most valuable wild salmon fisheries just one day after President Trump met with Alaska's governor, CNN has learned.

The EPA publicly announced the reversal July 30, but EPA staff sources tell CNN that they were informed of the decision a month earlier, during a hastily arranged video conference after Trump's meeting with Gov. Mike Dunleavy. The governor, a supporter of the project, emerged from that meeting saying the president assured him that he's "doing everything he can to work with us on our mining concerns."

The news came as a "total shock" to some top EPA scientists who were planning to oppose the project on environmental grounds, according to sources. Those sources asked to remain anonymous for fear of retribution.

The copper-and-gold mine planned near Bristol Bay, Alaska, known as Pebble Mine, was blocked by the Obama administration's EPA after scientists found that the mine would cause "complete loss of" the bay's fish habitat.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/epa-drops-protection-for-wild-salmon-in-alaska-bristol-bay/ar-AAFApUI?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=mailsignout

3 replies, 268 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply EPA drops protection for wild salmon in Alaska Bristol Bay (Original post)
mfcorey1 Aug 9 OP
c-rational Aug 9 #1
sinkingfeeling Aug 9 #2
badhair77 Aug 9 #3

Response to mfcorey1 (Original post)

Fri Aug 9, 2019, 09:39 PM

1. This is lunacy. I cannot understand why there is not more outrage, especially among Alaskans.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Aug 9, 2019, 09:40 PM

2. More lawsuits coming.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 9, 2019, 10:16 PM

3. trump is a magnet for people like dunleavy, people without souls

or a sense of right and wrong. These people put profit and power above everything. Itís depressing. How do we get rid of them. Even if we win the presidency, the House and the Senate they are still entrenched in powerful positions thanks to the current administration. Thereís your infestation.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread