HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Environment & Energy » Frugal and Energy Efficient Living (Group) » Bought a 6 quart crock po...

Sun Jan 17, 2016, 08:44 PM

Bought a 6 quart crock pot stoneware and glass lid for $1.50...

at a St Vincent de Paul thrift store. Using it to make sauerkraut which I started last night by shredding two heads of cabbage and packing that in layers, sprinkled with pickling salt, in the crock. Just packed it down again using a potato masher a few minutes ago and there's room for another head, or most of a head, of cabbage in the pot.

4 replies, 2038 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Bought a 6 quart crock pot stoneware and glass lid for $1.50... (Original post)
Kaleva Jan 2016 OP
R. P. McMurphy Jan 2016 #1
Curmudgeoness Jan 2016 #2
Kaleva Jan 2016 #3
Curmudgeoness Jan 2016 #4

Response to Kaleva (Original post)

Sun Jan 17, 2016, 09:38 PM

1. Mmmm, sauerkraut.

You're making me hungry.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Kaleva (Original post)

Mon Jan 18, 2016, 06:57 PM

2. Great bargain!

I have never had a crock pot, and I have never made sauerkraut. Maybe I should rethink this.

Reply to this post

Response to Curmudgeoness (Reply #2)

Thu Jan 21, 2016, 07:39 AM

3. A 2 lb. bag of sauerkraut at the supermarket costs over $3

I was able to fit 3 heads, total weight close to 8 lbs., of shredded cabbage into the crock pot. At .63 cents a pound, I saved a few dollars.

As I'm low income, I get $30.00 in coupons from the local Michigan State University Extension office for which I can spend at local farmer's markets. This fall, I could spend that on cabbage, buy a couple of food safe 5 gallon pails and make enough sauerkraut to last the winter and spring at little cost.

Reply to this post

Response to Kaleva (Reply #3)

Thu Jan 21, 2016, 06:12 PM

4. I don't know where you live

and if New Year's Day is known for pork and sauerkraut there, but it is here. And for some reason, there is always a loss-leader sale on cabbage right before New Year's.....it was as low as $.29 a pound that week. Woohoo!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread