HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Environment & Energy » Frugal and Energy Efficient Living (Group) » "Yes" Spring 20...

Wed Mar 11, 2015, 12:12 PM

"Yes" Spring 2015 has an excellent article by Wendell Berry called "Revolution Starts Small and

Close to Home".

He argues that we need to stop planning for the future and start working to change what we can at the local level in order to change the future.

For instance stop destroying the land in order to continue our fossil fuel addiction.

7 replies, 2355 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply "Yes" Spring 2015 has an excellent article by Wendell Berry called "Revolution Starts Small and (Original post)
jwirr Mar 2015 OP
dixiegrrrrl Mar 2015 #1
jwirr Mar 2015 #2
Curmudgeoness Mar 2015 #3
jwirr Mar 2015 #4
Curmudgeoness Mar 2015 #5
dennisdavid Aug 2015 #6
jwirr Aug 2015 #7

Response to jwirr (Original post)

Wed Mar 11, 2015, 01:31 PM

1. He is not a heralded as he should be.

With little fanfare, Barry has been speaking and writing his beliefs for years now.
and I agree with him about grass roots involvement.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to dixiegrrrrl (Reply #1)

Wed Mar 11, 2015, 01:45 PM

2. I agree. I read him for the first time in the 60s and have tried to keep up. He has a very basic way

of viewing the issues.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 11, 2015, 02:07 PM

3. I have always thought local when I could.

It has been a wonderful thing for me to see this line of thinking get more traction, since the more people who lean in this direction, the more local, small businesses are available for me to use.

Also, local politics is vital, since it makes more direct influence on me. And the "buy local" from farmers movement has opened the markets for our local farmers. You have to love thinking local, small, and simplifying your life.

Reply to this post

Response to Curmudgeoness (Reply #3)

Wed Mar 11, 2015, 02:22 PM

4. This is exactly what the article talks about. Government programs often are hard to impliment and

even to not work because they always leave the action for the future. It is local action that brings about change NOW.

Reply to this post

Response to jwirr (Reply #4)

Wed Mar 11, 2015, 02:28 PM

5. I rarely see change that does not start local. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 14, 2015, 06:41 AM

6. i dont understand

i dont understand

Reply to this post

Response to dennisdavid (Reply #6)

Fri Aug 14, 2015, 09:56 AM

7. A good way to understand is to read his books and I encourage that. But in short this author has

been dealing with the big problems such a pollution and economic crisis for years by encouraging change from the bottom up.

In example in the first book I read he was talking about harmful farming method. I was very surprised to see many farmers trying to do exactly what he said many years later. Of course there are some issues that cannot be dealt with locally but even that law has to be implemented to succeed.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread