HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Environment & Energy » Environment & Energy (Group) » Fishing Net Biodegrades i...

Tue Dec 2, 2014, 03:47 PM

Fishing Net Biodegrades if Lost at Sea

Fishing Net Biodegrades if Lost at Sea
Dec 1, 2014 02:11 PM ET // by Tracy Staedter

Hundreds of thousands of animals, including marine mammals, sharks and birds, die as bycatch in fishing nets every year. According to the World Wildlife Fund, one dolphin or porpoise dies every two minutes from being entangled in fishing gear.

Engineering student Alejandro Plasencia wants to put an end to that. He developed the Remora system, which includes a biodegradable net, radio frequency identification (RFID) tags, an RFID reader and a smartphone app.

Combined, this technology could help fishermen find and repair damaged nets, instead of abandoning them to become “ghost nets.”

The yellow radio frequency tags can be attached to a Remora net or to any other net for that matter.

“We were inspired by symbiotic relationships in nature, like the remora fish that attaches to sharks’ skin and keeps it clean by eating parasites, faeces and leftovers,” he told Dezeen.

If the net goes missing, the fisherman can track the gear using the RFID reader and a smartphone app, which helps pinpoint the location. The fisherman can retrieve the net to repair it or contact a government agency, such as Healthy Seas, to who will recover it.

More:
http://news.discovery.com/tech/gear-and-gadgets/fishing-net-biodegrades-if-lost-at-sea-141201.htm#mkcpgn=rssnws1

I hope there are enough people of conscience in the business to make this work.

4 replies, 666 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Fishing Net Biodegrades if Lost at Sea (Original post)
Judi Lynn Dec 2014 OP
shenmue Dec 2014 #1
Bill USA Dec 2014 #2
eppur_se_muova Dec 2014 #3
ffr Dec 2014 #4

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Tue Dec 2, 2014, 03:50 PM

1. Yay!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Dec 2, 2014, 09:22 PM

2. Jesus, give that guy an award!! fishing nets drifting around the seas are terrible things - as the

article points out. THanks for posting. recommended!

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 3, 2014, 10:47 AM

3. About time someone did something ! Ghost nets have been a known hazard for decades. nt

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 3, 2014, 11:49 AM

4. Are there still fish remaining in large enough numbers for nets to be economical?

Good solution and , but net harvesting of fish populations is still raping our oceans.

And yes, my consumption of fish is nearly zero.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread