HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Environment & Energy » Environment & Energy (Group) » VROOM! INTERNATIONAL AUTO...

Fri Dec 30, 2011, 06:48 PM

VROOM! INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW HAS POWER, STYLE & SIZZLE

From green hybrids and electrics to heavy-duty trucks for backcountry roads, this year’s show has it all

By Nadin Abbott

December 30, 2011 (San Diego)--The San Diego International Auto Show is presented by the New Car Dealers Association of San Diego. It’s a cool way for San Diegans to see what’s new in vehicles--and it is among the largest car shows in the nation. For those who are interested in more ecologically sound cars and even trucks, we are seeing more and more hybrids, flex fuel vehicles and electrics across most classes. The technology has come a long way in a short decade, making it both more compact and efficient.

Scroll down for highlights from the show—including our video of a test drive on a rugged Jeep track.

http://www.eastcountymagazine.org/node/8263

Realize the technology is moving forwards. From the first time I saw one of these suckers, an Insight in 2000 to now... who'd thunk we'd see Hyrbrid Electric full sized trucks?

Of course as of now getting these engines into a tractor trailer might be truly a dream. I cannot wait to see some of the redesigns that actually make THOSE aerodynamic and less drag.

(And yes, there is an issue with what do you do with the batteries after the fact)

2 replies, 1498 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply VROOM! INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW HAS POWER, STYLE & SIZZLE (Original post)
nadinbrzezinski Dec 2011 OP
Bob Wallace Dec 2011 #1
nadinbrzezinski Dec 2011 #2

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Original post)

Sat Dec 31, 2011, 12:05 AM

1. I didn't see any trucks...

Just pickups.

Here's your electric and hybrid trucks....

http://www.pluginamerica.org/vehicle-tracker?make=All&drivetrain=All&class=commercial&charger=All&cvrp=All&availability=Available

And no, there is not an issue with what you do with the batteries after the fact. Utility companies are already getting geared up to use them after the vehicle range is down to about 80%. And after that they will be recycled - the process is already in place.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Bob Wallace (Reply #1)

Sat Dec 31, 2011, 12:10 AM

2. The Tundra is a truck, though not a service truck

there were none of those unless I count the fire department gear.

And good to know, I always wonder about the batteries. Oh and full disclosure we drive a hybrid and we love it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread