HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Economy & Education » Education (Group) » S.F. Leadership High on s...

Thu Dec 15, 2011, 09:10 PM

S.F. Leadership High on state's list of 10 for closure (charters w/low test scores)

Jill Tucker, SF Chronicle

A San Francisco charter school was among 10 charters in California recommended for closure Thursday because of consistently low standardized test scores.

The California Charter Schools Association took the lead in recommending San Francisco's Leadership High School and nine others be shut down, saying that the charter movement can't have the credibility it needs if schools with poor academic track records are allowed to continue to operate.

Charter schools are alternative schools sanctioned by the state to give parents a choice within the public education system. Their mission is to offer innovative models of academic success.

"We cannot have an honest discussion about education reform and increasing accountability without closing the charters that have demonstrated an inability to meet the challenge of excellence - granted to us by law - and chronically underperform," said Myrna Castrejón, the organization's senior vice president, in a statement.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/12/15/MNQ31MD16I.DTL

the top-liked comment: "once they trade in serious subject study for the "self esteem" crap, they're doomed. The "self esteem" industry is a refuge for scoundrels and phony consultants." I've seen both left and right criticizing self-esteem ideology in public schools, for example DU reposted this Alternet.org article, and on the right there are books devoted to that topic like Inside American Education by Thomas Sowell (economics professor and scholar at Hoover Inst.) and Dumbing Down Our Kids: why American children feel good about themselves but can't read, write or add by Charles Sykes (talk show host on WTMJ in Milwaukee, Wisc.)

But on the other hand generally charter schools should be scrutinized and regulated closely; I've seen many stories on DU about states letting charters off the hook no matter how abysmal.

3 replies, 1703 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply S.F. Leadership High on state's list of 10 for closure (charters w/low test scores) (Original post)
alp227 Dec 2011 OP
Fearless Dec 2011 #1
mopinko Dec 2011 #2
mopinko Dec 2011 #3

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Fri Dec 16, 2011, 02:02 AM

1. But but but charter schools!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Fearless (Reply #1)

Fri Dec 16, 2011, 01:16 PM

2. get closed when they don't measure up.

Reply to this post

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Fri Dec 16, 2011, 01:19 PM

3. it does frustrate me, tho,

the big problem with judging charters by standardized testing is that by definition, they do not teach the standard curricula. so, how can they be expected to score the same as kids who are?

both ends would be better off with better assessments.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread