HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Economy & Education » Omaha Steve's Labor Group (Group) » Do the unions keep a hist...

Mon Aug 24, 2015, 11:56 AM

Do the unions keep a history of strikes?

In scanning my grandfather's negatives, I came on four photos of what appears to be a strike. Very laid back images - two guys sitting under a beach umbrella and one is holding a sign that says:
Swift Co. Employees on Strike.
I. C. W. U.
Local No. 38
A. F. of L.

If they of the same vintage as the other photos in this group this would have been about 1951, probably in Agricola, Florida. My grandfather was a manager of the phosphate mine in Agricola that was owned by Swift & Company.

He may have been taking pictures to send back to corporate headquarters. Or he may just have been taking pictures since he had for decades. Yesterday I also scanned pictures that seem to be of his training in the Army Corp of Engineers in 1918. Most of those are of them blowing things up.

If the union(s) involved would like digital copies of the pictures, PM me. Eventually I will be posting nearly all of the photos I am scanning online but right now I don't have these ready. But I would like them to get to interested parties for history's sake.

3 replies, 1095 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Do the unions keep a history of strikes? (Original post)
csziggy Aug 2015 OP
Scuba Aug 2015 #1
csziggy Aug 2015 #2
Gman Aug 2015 #3

Response to csziggy (Original post)

Mon Aug 24, 2015, 12:05 PM

1. Not lately ...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Scuba (Reply #1)

Mon Aug 24, 2015, 12:19 PM

2. Maybe with a better sense of history, the unions could recruit more people!

I found the current organization: International Chemical Workers Union Council (http://www.icwuc.org/). They were only organized in 1944 and their history says this: "Further gains were made in 1950 in the field of company-wide activities when the first company-wide negotiations for pension and health plans were held with Monsanto. Similar developments have since occurred with American Cyanamid, W.R. Grace and Sterling Drug." http://www.icwuc.org/history-of-the-i-c-w-u-c/

American Cyanamid and W. R. Grace were both active in the phosphate industry and in the same area of Florida as Swift & Co. so there could have been strikes against them at the same time. Or a successful strike against Swift could have pushed the other companies into negotiating contracts with the union.

I've sent the ICWUC an email offering to send them digital copies of the images.

Reply to this post

Response to csziggy (Original post)

Mon Aug 24, 2015, 12:34 PM

3. Each national union has an archives department

Access is usually available upon request. The AFL-CIO also has an archives department.

Unions are usually very keen on history.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread