HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » Men's Group (Group) » Some of you might find th...

Thu Sep 15, 2016, 05:32 PM

Some of you might find this Reddit thread interesting

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/52vlai/serious_men_whats_something_that_would_surprise/

[Serious] Men, what's something that would surprise women about life as a man?

2 replies, 1336 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Some of you might find this Reddit thread interesting (Original post)
steve2470 Sep 2016 OP
lumberjack_jeff Sep 2016 #1
Behind the Aegis Sep 2016 #2

Response to steve2470 (Original post)

Sat Sep 17, 2016, 08:02 PM

1. I manage a small group of women in a social services nonprofit.

Admittedly, I run a pretty loose ship. I don't take myself at all seriously. As an organization we need to be better next month that this - that's it. Everything else is tactics. As director, I see my job as clearing out roadblocks for staff to do what they feel necessary.

But one of the women said to me the other day; "I'll bet you mow the lawn to get outside, away from the computer and clear your head."

"No, I do it because the grass is tall."

I don't know why that irritated me. It is as if the expectation is that everything I do is to manage and enhance my own feelings. I don't get any particular thrill from mowing or from renting a drain auger at Home Depot to unplug the damn sewer drain. I do it because a) it's plugged and b) Due to the expense, I don't want the organization to hire a plumber - given the choice between paying the plumber and keeping staff on payroll for another week, I'd rather pay her.

But sometimes it's a close call.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to steve2470 (Original post)

Sun Sep 18, 2016, 01:15 AM

2. Actually, it was quite interesting.

There is quite a bit of gender bias against males, including from other males. It is one of the reason sexism is still quite prevalent.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread