HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » Men's Group (Group) » Colorado School Official ...

Thu Dec 12, 2013, 05:12 PM

Colorado School Official Wants Trans Kids Castrated

When a school official advocates for trans kids being castrated before they’re allowed to use the gender facilities that align with their identity, you know something has gone terribly wrong. Sadly, that’s a reality in one Colorado school.

Delta County School Board member Katherine Svenson has made international headlines for transphobic comments she reportedly made during an October school board meeting.

---snip---

“I would like to pass out something that shows people what is going on in the rest of the country,” she is quoted as saying. “Massachusetts and California have passed laws relating to calling a student, irrespective of his biological gender, letting him perform as the gender he thinks he is, or she is, and I want to emphasize, and they’re actually talking about joining girls sports teams going in the girls locker rooms and bathrooms, and I just want to emphasize not in this district. Not until the plumbing’s changed. There would have to be castration in order to pass something like that around here.”

---snip---

Nevertheless, Svenson stands by her comments. In follow up remarks to NewsChannel 5, Svenson said:

“I don’t have a problem if some boys think they are girls, I’m just saying as long as they can impregnate a woman, they’re not going to go in girls locker-room.”

read on....

Sounds shockingly familiar to some things I am reading as of late.

15 replies, 2344 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 15 replies Author Time Post
Reply Colorado School Official Wants Trans Kids Castrated (Original post)
Behind the Aegis Dec 2013 OP
Behind the Aegis Dec 2013 #1
lumberjack_jeff Dec 2013 #5
Major Nikon Dec 2013 #2
Turbineguy Dec 2013 #3
Major Nikon Dec 2013 #4
ProudToBeBlueInRhody Dec 2013 #6
Major Nikon Dec 2013 #7
ProudToBeBlueInRhody Dec 2013 #8
Major Nikon Dec 2013 #9
nomorenomore08 Dec 2013 #13
RiffRandell Dec 2013 #10
In_The_Wind Dec 2013 #11
HappyMe Dec 2013 #12
nomorenomore08 Dec 2013 #14
westerebus Dec 2013 #15

Response to Behind the Aegis (Original post)

Thu Dec 12, 2013, 05:13 PM

1. The ADL responds...

The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) today condemned as “deeply offensive, outrageous and unacceptable” remarks made by Delta School Board Member Kathy Svenson. Svenson recently stated at a School Board meeting that she believed transgender children would need to be “castrated” in order to use school bathrooms and participate in school activities that fit their gender identity.

Scott L. Levin, ADL Mountain States Regional Director, issued the following statement:

“Delta School Board Member Kathy Svenson’s recent statements about transgender students are deeply offensive, outrageous and unacceptable. In Colorado, transgender people are expressly allowed to access public or workplace restrooms designated for the gender that matches their self-identification. Schools cannot ignore the rights of transgender students. Colorado’s transgender youth deserve the opportunity to thrive in school no less than their peers. Their full participation in all aspects of school life, from the classroom to the restroom, will also help to create a climate of acceptance among their classmates, and decrease the incidence of bullying against them. Ms. Svenson’s advocacy to violate Colorado law is not only unbecoming of an elected official, it is deeply harmful to Delta’s students.”

source

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Behind the Aegis (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 12, 2013, 06:46 PM

5. Good. n/t

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 12, 2013, 05:22 PM

2. The stupid is strong with this one

I find it amazing how brazen these people are with their hate. Not enough people are standing up and calling bullshit on this type of thing.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 12, 2013, 06:03 PM

3. I wouldn't make too much of that remark.

She's probably just looking for a job at Fox News.

Reply to this post

Response to Turbineguy (Reply #3)

Thu Dec 12, 2013, 06:40 PM

4. School board members tend to be the most wingnutty of wingnuts

The reason is because school board elections are typically held outside of presidential and mid-term elections when nobody bothers showing up. Churches have a constant get out the vote effort which means their influence is multiplied greatly in low turnout elections. That's how Texas wound up with a flat earth state school board chairman who believes the earth is 6,000 yrs old.

Reply to this post

Response to Major Nikon (Reply #4)

Thu Dec 12, 2013, 07:21 PM

6. The Moral Majority taught them to win the school board races in the 80's

Dictate policy and indoctrinate.

Reply to this post

Response to ProudToBeBlueInRhody (Reply #6)

Thu Dec 12, 2013, 07:28 PM

7. The Moral Majority was neither

They were an influence peddling group that turned unwitting churches into useful idiots that enriched their leadership turning many of them into muti-millionaires if not billionaires. It's the same for many other religious influence peddling groups that followed.

Reply to this post

Response to Major Nikon (Reply #7)

Thu Dec 12, 2013, 07:30 PM

8. Standard operating procedure

Pat Robertson learned running for President was a windfall long before Sarah and Newt did. And it's no shock as evangelists are the experts at separating dullards from cash.

Reply to this post

Response to ProudToBeBlueInRhody (Reply #8)

Thu Dec 12, 2013, 07:37 PM

9. The sad part is they don't have to be all that smart themselves to do it

Maybe 1 standard deviation to the left on the bell curve as opposed to 2.

Reply to this post

Response to Major Nikon (Reply #7)

Fri Dec 13, 2013, 08:25 PM

13. "They're neither moral nor majority..." L7 earworm!

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 12, 2013, 07:54 PM

10. Disgusting, and a link to an article about the transgender battle in CO I posted.

Didn't get much traffic, but when I read my issue of Rolling Stone it was in it really affected me.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/113733326

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 12, 2013, 11:05 PM

11. That's absolutely horrible!

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 13, 2013, 11:46 AM

12. She's a monster.

They should throw her ass off of the school board, and any that think like her. Hysterical fear of what she can't be bothered to try to understand.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 13, 2013, 08:32 PM

14. Maybe I'm a bit late, but I just wanted to chime in about how disgusting this is.

It's especially galling when ostensible lefties like a certain Ms. Brennan make common cause with the far right.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 16, 2013, 12:10 AM

15. Well there's one more example of the rape culture at work.

Obviously a transgender child with a penis wants nothing more than the opportunity to get into the girls' locker room to impregnate the closest available female.

We should be grateful such stalwarts of community are there to insure the castration option is made available for the sake of the children.

for the sarcasm impaired.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread