HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Economy & Education » Consumer Advice (Group) » If you're in civil litiga...

Sat Oct 27, 2018, 09:22 AM

If you're in civil litigation, can an attorney get access to your credit history?

8 replies, 1707 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply If you're in civil litigation, can an attorney get access to your credit history? (Original post)
no_hypocrisy Oct 2018 OP
Cary Oct 2018 #1
Yonnie3 Oct 2018 #2
Iliyah Oct 2018 #3
JayhawkSD Oct 2018 #4
Shrike47 Oct 2018 #6
MaryMagdaline Oct 2018 #5
Shrike47 Oct 2018 #7
Name removed Nov 2018 #8

Response to no_hypocrisy (Original post)

Sat Oct 27, 2018, 09:31 AM

1. Anyone can get access.to your credit history

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Oct 27, 2018, 09:31 AM

2. I don't know if it was legal, but it happened to me.

The insurance company of the individual I was suing for personal injury ran a credit check on me. My lawyer shrugged it off and said it was a usual thing for them to do a background check. There weren't any negatives in my report.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 27, 2018, 09:40 AM

3. Yes.

And more personal information, unless you can afford the best attorneys money can buy.

Reply to this post

Response to Iliyah (Reply #3)

Sat Oct 27, 2018, 10:23 AM

4. Not, "unless you can afford the best attorneys money can buy."

Just "yes."

For one thing, the best attorneys are not based on what "money can buy." The quality of an attorney is not measured by how much money he/she charges. Some of the very best attorneys charge quite reasonable rates.

Secondly, even the best attorney, with a genius IQ and the highest skillset ever known in the practice of law, cannot prevent your opponent from obtaining that which is available under due process of law.

Reply to this post

Response to JayhawkSD (Reply #4)

Sat Oct 27, 2018, 11:36 AM

6. Well said. Attorneys can get other info, too. I have read countless medical records of opponents.

Your private information is only private up to a point. Litigation tends to lead to loss of privacy.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 27, 2018, 10:33 AM

5. Yes

They can also find every claim you have ever made, every application for insurance, and may require you to sign medical authorizations to get records from every single doctor you have ever seen, military records, and if you are suing for lost income, they will be able to get all employment records. There may be surveillance as well. Itís a very invasive process. God forbid you forget you had back pain years ago or took a few days off for knee pain. Never underestimate how much power insurance companies have to keep verdicts and settlements down.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 27, 2018, 11:39 AM

7. Yes. I have even required people to produce their own Social Security Disability applications.

If you have a document history, an attorney can get it.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread