HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Economy & Education » Consumer Advice (Group) » Does anyone have a good s...

Mon Jan 29, 2018, 04:45 PM

Does anyone have a good source for finding out if certain stocks (or bonds or whatever)

are good or bad from a viewpoint of a progressive democrat?

I just have a tiny bit of money invested, but am thinking of selling and buying something more compatible with my values depending on what I find out about my investments.

Again, it's just a few hundred bucks, but still. I know nothing about the markets and googling to try to find ratings from a liberal's perspective yielded no info.

5 replies, 1963 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Does anyone have a good source for finding out if certain stocks (or bonds or whatever) (Original post)
Dark n Stormy Knight Jan 2018 OP
elleng Jan 2018 #1
Dark n Stormy Knight Jan 2018 #2
bettyellen Jan 2018 #3
Dark n Stormy Knight Jan 2018 #4
bettyellen Jan 2018 #5

Response to elleng (Reply #1)

Mon Jan 29, 2018, 04:55 PM

2. I did find that, but it seems you have to open an account with them to use the service.

I was hoping for something accessible to anyone online.

There's also Morningstar ratings, but, same thing--I can learn about how they rate, but not access the ratings, as far as I can figure anyhow.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Dark n Stormy Knight (Original post)

Mon Jan 29, 2018, 05:08 PM

3. You can google for social responsible companies and then buy their stocks....

And you can also google for socially responsible funds / but they may have minimums, so I am thinking just researching public companies would be the way to go. Is Costco public?
Alternatively, you could PM my good friend Swag and say I suggested you ask him. Hes pretty knowledgeable and loves to help w this sort of thing. Good luck!

Reply to this post

Response to bettyellen (Reply #3)

Tue Jan 30, 2018, 04:01 AM

4. Thanks. I don't know who Swag is. I don't know if Costco is public.

The one I own some shares in is AGG. It's just a few hundred dollars, so not a big deal, but just in case they're really awful, I'd like to know.

Reply to this post

Response to Dark n Stormy Knight (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 30, 2018, 03:53 PM

5. Its easy to google any company + stock and results will tell you if it exists and if so...

Where it is traded, current price and loads of articles on whether anyone is recommending it as a buy. Costco is indeed a stock. I just thought that would be a good way to dip your toe in as many good funds have big minimums and perhaps stocks would be easier.
I guess another good search would be no minimum funds? (Also social responsibility index or ratings)
But I know youd want to watch for low fees too. High fees are notorious for zeroing out a decent chunk of profits.
Lets hope my dear friend Swag shows up with a bit of better advice for you! Good luck!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread