HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Economy & Education » Consumer Advice (Group) » Need advice/suggestions o...

Wed Dec 2, 2015, 10:34 AM

Need advice/suggestions on easy-to-use, table-top cd player-radio for 90 yr. old friend

who has some visual and finger-tip agility issues. I have a label-maker and can help with identifying the control knobs. She loves music and I hope this will help relieve the boredom she has been having since moving into assisted living residence. It would be great if she could pick up local am-fm stations--the simpler, the better. Doesn't need remote control, USB dock, MP3, clock radio. Pref. price range $30-$100.00.

I have googled just about every search term I can think and read 100s of reviews on amazon.com, but haven't come up with much.

3 replies, 2101 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Need advice/suggestions on easy-to-use, table-top cd player-radio for 90 yr. old friend (Original post)
japple Dec 2015 OP
csziggy Dec 2015 #1
japple Dec 2015 #2
CottonBear Feb 2016 #3

Response to csziggy (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 3, 2015, 06:49 PM

2. Those are very nice units. She doesn't need turntable and it needs to be small as she

doesn't have much space in her room. I might just get one for myself, though! Thanks for posting.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to japple (Original post)

Sat Feb 6, 2016, 08:37 PM

3. I found these Sony products on Amazon:

Brand Name: Sony
Model Number: cfds05
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-CD-Radio-Cassette-Recorder/dp/B002I0X6X8

Sony CFDS50 Portable CD, Cassette & AM/FM Radio Boombox
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-CFDS50-Portable-Cassette-Boombox/dp/B00INEG8W4/ref=pd_sim_422_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=313%2BSNwUrGL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1XJJQCGP6GAHKFDPC5YM

Sony Portable Digital Tuner AM/FM Radio Tape Cassette Recorder & Cd Player Mega Bass Reflex Stereo Sound System Plus 6ft Aux Cable to Connect Any Ipod, Iphone or Mp3 Digital Audio Player
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KGC034K/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687502&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002I0X6X8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1MSH8MQK23G95WJJTG1M#Ask

********************************************************************************************************
I have had good luck with Sony products. I have a Sony CD/radio/cassette (from the early 2000s) and a Sony clock radio (from the early 1990s). Both of these products work great and are very easy to operate. However, I have not purchased a new Sony product since 2001. The product reviews for the above listed new Sony products are mostly good. However, I would keep all receipts, register the warranty cards and be prepared to return your purchase.

Two years ago, I purchased a clock radio/CD player for my son. It was an unknown (to me) brand and I have found it very difficult to operate. It is all digital and not at all intuitive. There are buttons with cryptic labels and the manual is almost useless. I cannot figure out how to set the time or alarms. The manual is the badly translated into English type.

Perhaps you could find a simple, easy to operate radio/CD player at a local yard or garage sale.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread