HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Politics & Government » Election Reform (Group) » Gerrymandering, What Can ...

Tue Feb 16, 2021, 06:37 PM

Gerrymandering, What Can We Do To Fix It?

Several people on DU have voiced concern over gerrymandering. I just read an interesting and informative article from the New York Times : "What is Gerrymandering? And How Does it Work?" It's kind of long but worth reading.

The link is: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/27/us/what-is-gerrymandering.html

One section reads, "the Supreme Court decided, 5-4, that the question of partisan gerrymandering was a political one that must be resolved by the elected branches of government, and not a legal question that the federal courts should decide."

While Congress is working on other issues related to voting, I'm wondering what is the best way to get Congress to introduce a law making gerrymandering illegal, and implement a districting process that is fair and nonpartisan. Even if the states are responsible for the final process, it seems there could be federal regulations as to how it's done. I've seen some information about computer programs that claim to do this but don't know much about them. Are there any experts here?

I'm willing to get on the bandwagon if there are others of you out there that want this issue resolved.

PS This is my first post so be patient and forgive me if I made mistakes. Any advice is welcome!

5 votes, 0 passes | Time left: Time expired
Is this something we want to pursue?
5 (100%)
Show usernames
Disclaimer: This is an Internet poll

8 replies, 1265 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Gerrymandering, What Can We Do To Fix It? (Original post)
mollie8 Feb 2021 OP
marble falls Feb 2021 #1
mollie8 Feb 2021 #4
marble falls Feb 2021 #5
lutherj Feb 2021 #2
PoindexterOglethorpe Feb 2021 #3
marble falls Feb 2021 #6
PoindexterOglethorpe Feb 2021 #7
mollie8 Feb 2021 #8

Response to mollie8 (Original post)

Tue Feb 16, 2021, 06:55 PM

1. Its very simple. Do what the GOP did to gerrymander in the first place: Vote, run for ...

... State Legislatures (where their gerrymandering happens every 10 year at reapportioning), run for any office to get experience and name recognition.

We need Democrats in every office from town dogcatcher on up. That will stop the gerrymandering cold.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to marble falls (Reply #1)

Tue Feb 16, 2021, 08:07 PM

4. Time is of the essence

I agree we need to do these things, but they take a lot of time. In addition to running for office, we need to do something significant sooner.

Reply to this post

Response to mollie8 (Reply #4)

Tue Feb 16, 2021, 11:08 PM

5. There is time.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 16, 2021, 07:06 PM

2. Welcome to DU!

I think that the issue of gerrymandering is a widely recognized problem here at DU. I would point out that the For The People Act, which (I believe) is the first bill to be taken up by the new Senate, contains provisions to limit gerrymandering, though I donít know specifically what it does. I think it is of paramount importance that we get this passed, and also move to make DC a state, and Puerto Rico also if they decide they want it.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 16, 2021, 08:01 PM

3. I am sure it is possible to write computer programs

to devise Congressional districts, as well as house and senate districts in states. Information about voters' political affiliation needs to be completely left out.

Reply to this post

Response to PoindexterOglethorpe (Reply #3)

Tue Feb 16, 2021, 11:12 PM

6. May well be, may well be used somewhere, however the Constitution specifies that ...

... that redistricting is in the hands of the state's own legislatures.

Reply to this post

Response to marble falls (Reply #6)

Tue Feb 16, 2021, 11:21 PM

7. The legislatures could employ programmers

to help them out.

Reply to this post

Response to marble falls (Reply #6)

Wed Feb 17, 2021, 12:17 AM

8. For the People Act

Using information from Luther's post I went to Congress.Gov and found that the For the People Act (HR1) passed the House, Senate, and was signed by the President. At least I think that's what it meant. Legislation is called a bill until it passes, then it is called an Act and they're calling it an Act. There is information in there about reforming gerrymandering (Sections 2411 thru 2413). I'm going to read it again tomorrow when I'm more rested. Hope I'm not celebrating too soon, but Yoo, Hoo!! (Sure would like to get rid of Madison Cauthorn.)

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread