HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Washington (Group) » Trailhead Direct, now don...

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 06:36 PM

Trailhead Direct, now done for the season, provided access to trails for those who didn't have it

After taking people to over 17,500 hikes this summer, Trailhead Direct's two-year pilot program has come to a close.

The program offered King County bus service from a handful of city stops to a handful of exceptionally popular trails. The benefits are twofold: access to trails to those who can't otherwise get to them, and alleviating parking needs at trailheads and in their surrounding communities.

"I don't think it's any secret that most of the hiking and climbing has been done by a narrow group demographically, so we wanted to make sure people who previously did not have access to the mountains and trails, all of the wilderness in King County, had access to it," King County Executive Dow Constantine told SeattlePI.

The second year, the summer of 2019, saw significant growth, with a 75% increase over the previous season to see a total of 35,838 boardings, or 17,919 round-trip journeys to hikes like Mailbox Peak, Cougar Mountain and Mount Si, the latter being most popular destination by far with over 19,000 boardings.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/trailhead-direct-now-done-for-the-season-provided-access-to-trails-for-those-who-didnt-have-it/ar-AAJF23r

My understanding is this may be one of the first things that disappear if I-976 is successful. King County charges drivers $60 a year to pay for Metro bus service.

0 replies, 293 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Reply to this thread