HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Texas (Group) » Former Obama Organizers M...

Sun Mar 24, 2013, 06:01 PM

Former Obama Organizers Meet In San Antonio; Texas Turns a Shade Bluer

On Saturday a statewide grassroots coalition tentatively dubbed "Texas Obama Leaders" met in San Antonio to discuss all of the great volunteer opportunities within the progressive movement of our state. The daylong think tank-styled forum is a follow up to a similar one held in DC with the White House Office of Public Engagement during the "fiscal cliff" discussions. The group is not officially sanctioned by the Democratic Party but is more an organic group of Obama volunteers and campaign alumni from around the state who want to maintain momentum and some organizational structure to help push progressive causes in Texas.

The speakers included Texas Democratic Party Chair Gilberto Hinojosa and special assistant to the Chair Glen Maxey, Battleground Texas Executive Director Jenn Brown, Southern Regional Director of Organizing for Action Gregory Jackson, and State Director of Engage Texas Katrina Mendiola. All of the participants, about 60, were split into 4 rotating breakout groups, each with a timekeeper and facilitator, to conduct more intimate question and answer discussions with each speaker and each other. The event co-chairs and lead organizers of this event, Ian Davis and Judy Hall, said the purpose of this effort was to identify all of the opportunities to engage our networks in a way that uses all of our resources more efficiently and to allow Democrats from around Texas the ability to share ideas.

Glen Maxey said the TDP and its new VAN Director are focused on getting the VAN set up for grassroots organizers and precinct chairs to be able to get the data they need to organize within their community - including more cell phone numbers and email addresses. Chairman Hinojosa said the party would also like to capture more data from its organizers. He plans for the party to hold more VAN trainings around the state to show county parties and local activists how to utilize the tools that are currently available and introduce others being developed to update the TDP's organizing database in real time. Connecting and supporting organizers is important, but we must also have good candidates to support in order to win. Maxey and Hinojosa said that the party would aggressively move to fill out the Democratic ticket down ballot, especially in places like Amarillo where Republicans dominate local politics but demographics suggest Democrats are competitive.

Engage Texas is a 501c3 organization that works behind the scenes to coordinate, organize and help seek funding for nonprofits that share progressive goals, but because of campaign finance laws they can not work directly with the Democratic Party. Their communications for partner organizations comes largely through Progress Texas.

More at http://www.burntorangereport.com/diary/13255/former-obama-organizers-meet-in-san-antonio-texas-turns-a-shade-bluer .

5 replies, 1509 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Former Obama Organizers Meet In San Antonio; Texas Turns a Shade Bluer (Original post)
TexasTowelie Mar 2013 OP
Spartacus Maximus XL Mar 2013 #1
Arctic Dave Mar 2013 #2
Gothmog Mar 2013 #3
susanr516 Mar 2013 #4
LeftInTX Mar 2013 #5

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Sun Mar 24, 2013, 06:08 PM

1. I'd sure like to see my adopted state go back to being blue

I think it will happen. Remember, it wasn't so long ago that Ann Richards held sway in Austin. You can do it, Texas dens!!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Mar 24, 2013, 07:26 PM

2. Not officially sanctioned by the Democratic Party

Of course not, they are discussing liberal ideas. Those aren't welcome in the new DLC party.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 24, 2013, 08:05 PM

3. Susan and Don Bankston were at this event

According to Susan there were far more than sixty people at this event.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 24, 2013, 11:19 PM

4. There's still quite a way to go

I hope we don't get too many 501c3s going, that we have no idea what each group is doing. Jenn and Dunny (that's not how it's spelled, but that's how he pronounces his name) were in Corpus Christi on the 16th. I am cautiously optimistic, but I have a few reservations. One, there needs to be more Latinos hired by Battleground Texas; we need folks who look like us and talk like us (Tex-Mex) before we can build trust. Two, Texas Latinos overwhelmingly supported Hillary Clinton in 2008, particularly in South Texas. The Obama campaign never connected with South Texas Latinos in 2008. What worked in other areas of the country did not work here. I told Jenn that I wasn't hearing any Latino names mentioned in their team, and that this would never work in S. TX without folks who looked like us and talked like us. I hope she listens to us. Full disclosure; I'm Anglo, have lived in CC since 1979, I am the Executive Director of the Nueces County Democratic Party, and I still need politiqueros to connect with voters in some of my precincts. That's the way it is. People don't trust anyone they don't know. Like I told Alex Steele, South Texas is whole different kind of animal.

Reply to this post

Response to susanr516 (Reply #4)

Tue Mar 26, 2013, 01:45 AM

5. +100,000

The low voter turn out is very sad. The RGV needs to register voters and GOTV

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread