HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Texas (Group) » Randy Travis arrested nak...

Wed Aug 8, 2012, 01:20 PM

Randy Travis arrested naked, charged with DWI

San Antonio Express-News 8/8/12

Randy Travis arrested naked, charged with DWI

DALLAS Randy Travis was charged with driving while intoxicated and threatening law officers after the country singer crashed his car and was found naked and combative at the scene, officials said.

It was the second Texas arrest this year for Travis, who was cited in February for public intoxication.

A Pontiac Trans Am registered to Travis, 53, had driven off a road west of Tioga around midnight Tuesday, said Tom Vinger, spokesman for the Texas Department of Public Safety. The vehicle had struck several barricades in a construction zone, according to DPS.

Vinger said Travis made threats against Texas Highway Patrol troopers and was not wearing clothes at the time of his arrest. He refused sobriety tests, Vinger said, so a blood specimen was taken.

Ooops. Oh boy those family values drivers... Watch out for them.

13 replies, 3491 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply Randy Travis arrested naked, charged with DWI (Original post)
sonias Aug 2012 OP
sinkingfeeling Aug 2012 #1
MADem Aug 2012 #3
sonias Aug 2012 #4
NoPasaran Aug 2012 #9
MADem Aug 2012 #2
sonias Aug 2012 #5
MADem Aug 2012 #6
sonias Aug 2012 #7
MADem Aug 2012 #8
TexasTowelie Aug 2012 #10
MADem Aug 2012 #11
DukeBlueD Aug 2012 #12
Vogon_Glory Aug 2012 #13

Response to sonias (Original post)

Wed Aug 8, 2012, 01:27 PM

1. Why do we condemn same-sex marriage and allow drunks to run amok?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to sinkingfeeling (Reply #1)

Wed Aug 8, 2012, 01:35 PM

3. If we encouraged same sex marriage for those who might like it, perhaps there would be fewer

people getting drunk out of frustration or sadness? It would be a win-win all around.

Self-medication happens with a number of drugs, including alcohol, for all sorts of reasons. I imagine being denied equality might be a depressing feeling that could conceivably culminate in a "bender" on occasion.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 8, 2012, 01:46 PM

4. Why wasn't there an intervention?

His second arrest this year. Lucky for him and lucky for all other drivers near him - no one was killed. He was arrested in Feb of 2012 - he certainly did not take that one seriously.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 8, 2012, 06:42 PM

9. He was arrested

Not quite the same as being allowed to run amok.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 8, 2012, 01:27 PM

2. Randy Travis--family values?

Isn't he the (once upon a time) kid who married a manager old enough to be his mother?

He hasn't aged well.

I met him a century ago--didn't seem like a happy guy.

From this arrest report, it sounds like he's still not a happy guy.

Reply to this post

Response to MADem (Reply #2)

Wed Aug 8, 2012, 01:56 PM

5. I didn't know about the relationship

Not really a country music fan. And I certainly wouldn't have a problem with him dating/marrying someone older than him. Kudos for him on that one actually! They have since divorced. Perhaps all his trouble this year has something to do with Elizabeth leaving him as his manager. They had divorced in 2010 but this year in 2012 she left him on the management side.

The Boot 10/29/10
Randy Travis, Wife Elizabeth Divorce
(snip)
Randy and Elizabeth's relationship began 34 years ago when the singer was 17-years-old and won a talent contest at a Charlotte, N.C. club owned by his future wife. Elizabeth, who is 16 years older than Randy, became his manager soon after. The couple moved to Nashville in 1982 to pursue Randy's dream in country music.]

CBS News 8/8/12
Randy Travis charged with DWI in Texas

(snip)
Earlier this year, Elizabeth Travis, who had been his manager for more than three decades, filed a lawsuit claiming that Randy Travis made it impossible for her to do her job and terminated her management contract without proper notice. She said her ex-husband sent several men, including an armed guard, to clean out her offices.

Reply to this post

Response to sonias (Reply #5)

Wed Aug 8, 2012, 03:06 PM

6. There have been rumors for years that his relationship with his now-ex wife was a cover

that was constructed because the National Enquirer was about to "reveal" that he was gay. Of course, more recently, the very same National Enquirer has come forth with a breathless story from the man's father that asserts old Randy is a randy horn dog of massive proportions:
http://www.nationalenquirer.com/celebrity/exclusive-interview-randy-travis-dad-tells-all

Now there are assertions that his ex-wife is angry because of the divorce--but more importantly, because she was fired-- and is going to (ooooh--said, again, with full measure of sarcasm, because I suspect no one would really care) reveal that he is gay. "Some say" (again with all the lurid and unproven connotations that the phrase suggests) this is what the "personal" and confidential information referenced in this article is all about:
http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/people/12853556-421/story.html

I have no idea what the truth of all this is. All I know is, if someone is found stark nekkid in the dark of night laid out on the road, drunk on their ass, with their car wrecked nearby, and they start yelling all kinds of terroristic and other nasty things at the cops, they've got a heap of trouble!!!

I never knew much about the guy, except that he had a limited success back in the eighties or so, and he did a few military concerts for deployed personnel. I never thought of him as one of those "family values" types. Met him once, VERY briefly--- he struck me as ... depressed. He might have just been tired, though. Who knows? He was nice enough, just seemed a bit unhappy. That was back in the late eighties, early nineties, maybe.

Reply to this post

Response to MADem (Reply #6)

Wed Aug 8, 2012, 03:19 PM

7. Thanks for the links

Too bad that if he is gay, that his being gay can be used to ruin his career. So sad that would even be possible.

It shouldn't be that big of a deal. Look at other celebrities that have come out, even after being married in a heterosexual marriage.

On that part of his story, if true, I feel for him.

Reply to this post

Response to sonias (Reply #7)

Wed Aug 8, 2012, 03:58 PM

8. He needs to go to one of those full-service detox joints.

Where they give him the full treatment--addiction counselling, psychotherapy, the whole nine yards.

Maybe he'll figure out what is making him do such stupid and self-destructive things.

People who get into jams like this don't like themselves very much, I'm guessing.

Reply to this post

Response to MADem (Reply #8)

Wed Aug 8, 2012, 10:34 PM

10. Did somebody type "joints"?

Maybe he can get detoxed at Marcus Bachmann's place? I've read that they prayed for miracles there.

On a more serious note, I saw the mug shots and he did get roughed up in the incident. After the substance abuse intervention, the next best thing to happen is for his driver's license to be suspended for about 2 or 3 years and an interlock put on the vehicle for another 10 years afterwards. That's for his safety and ours also.

Reply to this post

Response to TexasTowelie (Reply #10)

Wed Aug 8, 2012, 10:37 PM

11. I hope the poor fool gets correct with himself.

He did look beat up, and he looked miserable...which is how he's looked for the last several decades, I suspect.

Life is too short to be miserable, IMO. I hope he figures out how to live authentically with his own self into his old age.

Maybe he should move to a city where he doesn't need cars--he can take cabs instead!

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 8, 2012, 10:46 PM

12. He really hit rock bottom

And he was driving a 15 year old Trans Am??? I hope he writes a song about this...The Texan Post has a good article too:
http://www.texanpost.com/2012/08/08/update-randy-travis-found-naked-arrested-released/

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 9, 2012, 07:57 AM

13. Beware, Beware, Beware of The Naked Man

From the news reports, Randy Travis' drinking is causing him problems. I hope he seeks help and suceeds in putting a plug in the jug and keeping the cork firmly in place--One Day At A Time.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread