HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » South Carolina (Group) » Billions of dollars in go...

Sat Jul 6, 2019, 08:15 AM

Billions of dollars in gold sparks mine expansion, promise of 250 jobs near SC town

Potentially rich deposits of gold in South Carolina are fueling the expansion of a huge mine that has boosters excited about the prospect of 250 new jobs in a tiny community with a history of unemployment.

OceanaGold’s expansion plan says the Australian company would increase its existing 4,552-acre Haile Gold Mine site by more than 900 acres near Kershaw, a town in Lancaster County halfway between Columbia and Charlotte.

But the proposal to expand won’t happen until federal and state environmental regulators decide whether to approve the bigger mine — and some folks are leery of how more digging might affect the landscape from a gold mine that already is larger than any ever established in South Carolina.

The S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control calls the mine expansion “substantial.’’

Read more: https://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/article231955393.html

1 replies, 766 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Billions of dollars in gold sparks mine expansion, promise of 250 jobs near SC town (Original post)
TexasTowelie Jul 2019 OP
ROB-ROX Jul 2019 #1

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Sat Jul 6, 2019, 07:35 PM

1. GOLD!!!

I do not think they will hire many locals. They are looking for miners. Other unemployed miners will flock to this little state for employment. I have visited this states capital. The SAVANNA river is so polluted their is NO FISHING allowed.....

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread