HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Pennsylvania (Group) » I was just polled about c...

Thu Oct 12, 2017, 07:31 PM

I was just polled about candidates for the special election for Tim Murphy's seat

The poll asked who I would vote for if the candidates were Republican state senator Kim Ward and Assistant U.S. Attorney Conor Lamb.

Are these 2 considered the front runners?

Here is a little info on Lamb:

Conor Lamb, the 36-year-old, Obama-appointed assistant U.S. attorney for the Western District, is also expected to resign this week as a federal prosecutor in order to run for the seat. Despite Lambís credentials as a drug prosecutor, Lamb plans to focus on criminal justice reform and solutions to the regionís opioid crisis.

Lamb comes from a prestigious Pittsburgh Democratic family. He is related to Pittsburgh City Controller Michael Lamb, a strong labor ally in the region and a major player in the Western Pennsylvania Democratic Machine.

As a Marine Corps JAG Officer, Conor Lamb was noted for his role in prosecuting military officers, who covered up sexual assaults and taking on the culture of rape in Okinawa. Currently, in the reserves, Lamb also has deep ties to the veteran community, which will help in securing support.

http://paydayreport.com/tim-murphys-resignation-sets-up-a-national-showdown-in-western-pa-swing-district/

8 replies, 1418 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply I was just polled about candidates for the special election for Tim Murphy's seat (Original post)
PA Democrat Thursday OP
mountain grammy Thursday #1
blue neen Thursday #2
femmocrat Friday #3
PA Democrat Friday #4
PA Democrat Friday #5
femmocrat Friday #6
hole2th Friday #7
gopiscrap Saturday #8

Response to PA Democrat (Original post)

Thu Oct 12, 2017, 07:36 PM

1. More registered Democrats, yet Republicans win.

What's up with that? This guy looks good.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to mountain grammy (Reply #1)

Thu Oct 12, 2017, 10:24 PM

2. It's a socially conservative area, gerrymandered to reflect that.

Also, Trump won this district.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 13, 2017, 11:55 AM

3. I thought Mike Crossey was the front-runner for the democrats. He announced awhile ago.

Lamb sounds like the kind of candidate I have been hoping for. There seems to be number of these young democratic veterans running across the country. "Fresh faces win races" -- I hope! Wonder if the DCCC or the DNC are recruiting them?

Conor Lamb: (The only picture I found on google images.)

Reply to this post

Response to femmocrat (Reply #3)

Fri Oct 13, 2017, 12:41 PM

4. According to the article, it sounds like Crossey may drop out and endorse Lamb.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 13, 2017, 12:54 PM

5. Kim Ward began her political career as Rick Santorum's

Westmoreland County campaign chair in 1994. It doesn't look like she ever earned a college degree despite having "attended" 3 different schools.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 13, 2017, 01:19 PM

6. Additional info: Westmoreland Co. Commissioner Gina Cerilli will join the race.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 13, 2017, 10:27 PM

7. Rumor has it

Rumor has it that Conor Lamb is a preferred candidate of the party. He is impressive, a good speaker, and his resume is much better than the likely preferred Republican candidate, Guy Reschenthaler, even though they are about the same age. Reschenthaler had been being groomed by Tim Murphy to take over his seat at some point, but I don't think they expected it to be so soon. I don't think Kim Ward is much of a contender. Rick Saccone gave up his bid for Casey's senate seat to chase Murphy's, which I hope is a big mistake on his part.

Mike Crossey was the very first to announce, but is not necessarily the strongest candidate. He is staying in the race despite some pressure to bow out. Says he's in for the long game. I don't know what his chances are, but many see him as past his opportunity.

Pam Iovino, the former Navy captain and VA liaison to Congress, is still running, as is Bob Solomon, the ER doctor, who has the healthcare situation down cold. Iovino was endorsed by VoteVets. Still uncertain as to who has the bucks and ability to overcome a big fundraiser like Reschenthaler.

The whole special election creates an entirely different strategy now. If the D wins the special, the committee will no doubt push him or her for the primary and pressure the others to drop out. If the D loses, there'd probably be a full field of candidates. This is all my considered opinion, and not necessarily insider knowledge.

Reply to this post

Response to hole2th (Reply #7)

Sat Oct 14, 2017, 10:37 PM

8. welcome to DU

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread