HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Oregon (Group) » Steve Duin: Portland poli...

Sun Nov 17, 2013, 01:40 PM

Steve Duin: Portland police re-dedicate themselves to video surveillance

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/steve_duin/index.ssf/2013/11/steve_duin_portland_police_re-.html

...This line was dedicated to something else altogether. "Police surveillance. It will pick up signals from police-operated aircraft. Which are sorta like manned drones."

Merritt and McClure have been together for 20 years and married for the last seven, most of which they spent abroad while McClure was managing Peace Corps operations in Botswana and Morocco.

For all they knew, this broadband operation had already been vetted in council sessions, neighborhood meetings and newspaper columns. "We've been out of the loop," Merritt conceded.

"But what are we surveilling?"

Whatever strikes the fancy of Portland police, it turns out. And once those fiber-optic connections are completed at the Portland Building, the bureau will be able to stream the video to anyone who wants it.

1 replies, 1372 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Steve Duin: Portland police re-dedicate themselves to video surveillance (Original post)
swag Nov 2013 OP
classof56 Dec 2013 #1

Response to swag (Original post)

Thu Dec 5, 2013, 03:39 PM

1. Swag, I just now came across your post, and I thank you for the link.

Not sure what all this means; time will tell, I guess. I live East of the Cascades and find myself scanning the skies for drones every now and then. Can't really explain why, except the whole drone surveillance thing makes me kinda nervous. Just have to keep reminding myself of our state's motto: She Flies with Her Own Wings. Oh, and while I love Portland, I'm just as glad I live a few hundred miles away.

Cheers!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread