HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Oregon (Group) » After tech tax, Wyden joi...

Sun Dec 8, 2019, 08:19 AM

After tech tax, Wyden joins call for US tariffs on French imports

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration is proposing tariffs on up to $2.4 billion worth of French imports — including Roquefort cheese, handbags, lipstick and sparkling wine — in retaliation for France’s tax on American tech giants like Google, Amazon and Facebook.

The Office of the U.S. Trade Representative charged Monday that France’s new digital services tax discriminates against U.S. companies. The trade office will accept public comments on the tariffs, which could hit 100%, through Jan. 6 and hold a hearing Jan. 7.

The French tax is designed to prevent tech companies from dodging taxes by putting headquarters in low-tax European Union countries. It imposes a 3% annual levy on French revenues of digital companies with yearly global sales worth more than 750 million euros ($830 million) and French revenue exceeding 25 million euros.

The U.S. also criticized the French tax for targeting companies’ revenue, not their profits, and for being retroactive.

Read more: https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/politics/2019/12/03/after-tech-tax-wyden-joins-call-us-tariffs-french-imports/2595904001/

2 replies, 618 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply After tech tax, Wyden joins call for US tariffs on French imports (Original post)
TexasTowelie Dec 8 OP
Kaiserguy Dec 8 #1
abqtommy Dec 8 #2

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Sun Dec 8, 2019, 08:34 AM

1. So what is wrong with this tax?

Looks to me like they just want to make sure that big business pays it share. I read that amazon made a billion in profit and paid no taxes. Tariffs on the other hand cost us money since in the end we pay them. Of course the idiot in the WH lies about who pays them and his base buys the BS.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Kaiserguy (Reply #1)

Sun Dec 8, 2019, 10:45 AM

2. There's nothing wrong there that I can see. Except for snowflake tRUMP and his suckophants.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread