HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Oregon (Group) » Declining workforce leave...

Wed Nov 29, 2017, 05:00 AM

Declining workforce leaves Smith Frozen Foods short-shifted

Finding enough workers is getting to be more of a challenge for Michael Lesko at Smith Frozen Foods.

The company, which processes and packages frozen vegetables near Weston, is capable of storing more than 130 million pounds of product on site, including corn, lima beans, onions and carrots. Harvest season typically begins around June 1 and runs through the end of November, when the demand for seasonal labor is at its strongest.

Lesko, director of human resources for Smith Frozen Foods, said the plant has roughly 100 regular employees and typically hires another 200 seasonal workers through harvest. Those positions, however, are becoming more difficult to fill, he said, which has left the plant short up to 10 workers on any given shift over the past year.

“It’s been difficult keeping people, by all means,” Lesko said. “We were looking for people to start in June and work through November, but that’s becoming more and more rare.”

Read more: http://www.eastoregonian.com/eo/local-news/20171124/declining-workforce-leaves-smith-frozen-foods-short-shifted

2 replies, 1653 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Declining workforce leaves Smith Frozen Foods short-shifted (Original post)
TexasTowelie Nov 2017 OP
TreasonousBastard Nov 2017 #1
Astraea Nov 2017 #2

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Wed Nov 29, 2017, 05:40 AM

1. Same problems here-- farms and restaurants constantly looking for help...

major demographic changes and current immigration idiocy are at the root of most of it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Wed Nov 29, 2017, 05:57 AM

2. gee, maybe they should raise wages

But I won't hold my breath.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread