HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » New York (Group) » New Yawkas discuss! No Et...

Wed Jun 13, 2018, 01:26 PM

New Yawkas discuss! No Ethnic Group Owns Stuyvesant. All New Yorkers Do. Mayor

Mayor Bill de Blasioís plan would destroy the best high school in New York City.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/13/opinion/de-blasio-stuyvesant-school.html?

De Blasioís Plan for NYC Schools Isnít Anti-Asian. Itís Anti-Racist.
It gives a diverse group of working-class kids a fairer shot, which shouldnít be controversial.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/13/opinion/stuyvesant-new-york-schools-de-blasio.html?

1 replies, 853 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply New Yawkas discuss! No Ethnic Group Owns Stuyvesant. All New Yorkers Do. Mayor (Original post)
elleng Jun 2018 OP
Lucky Luciano Jun 2018 #1

Response to elleng (Original post)

Wed Jun 13, 2018, 02:07 PM

1. Written by a highly privileged hedge fund manager.

It is not surprising that he thinks that talent can be purely assessed from a single test. After all, that worked for him. All the middle schools that failed to produce good test results donít all have dumb kids - just underprivileged with lower quality schools. Those kids should not be punished for that and there should be assessments accounting for other qualities that may imply hidden potential.

Disclaimer: I am also in the hedge fund industry, so I donít mind being critical of Boazís point of view. Also, I strongly benefitted from a test style assessment because I tend to ace those things. It is not bad to look at other methods though. Gaming the system for a test is not talent. It is gaming the system. A true assessment of talent is not so easy that a silly test will detect it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread