HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Missouri (Group) » Noose displayed near Miss...

Sun Nov 1, 2020, 01:08 AM

Noose displayed near Missouri voting booths, covered up after voting intimidation complaints

A noose that had been on display near voting booths in southwest Missouri was covered up Friday.

The noose was spotted at a polling place in Stone County, Mo., in which 97% of residents are white, according to the 2010 census.

A county official said the noose was part of a display commemorating the last legal hanging in Missouri, the Kansas City Star reported. County clerk Cindy Elmore said the display had been up for several years in the county government building and was not related to the election office within the building.

“For a noose to be displayed next to voting booths is clear intimidation targeting Black voters. This symbol’s purpose is to stoke the fires of racial prejudice and strike fear in the hearts of people of color,” Missouri Democratic Party chair Clem Smith wrote in a statement.

Read more: https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-noose-missouri-voting-booths-intimidation-20201031-m47b6yyogjendffqg7scmqaedu-story.html

2 replies, 826 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Noose displayed near Missouri voting booths, covered up after voting intimidation complaints (Original post)
TexasTowelie Nov 2020 OP
aquamarina Nov 2020 #1
PinkTiger Nov 2020 #2

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Sun Nov 1, 2020, 01:27 AM

1. Who the hell commemorates

a noose?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Mon Nov 2, 2020, 07:50 PM

2. This is the county I live in. I've seen the noose.

It is part of a display commemorating the last public hanging in our county.
The person was white. It happened in the 1930s. It is located in the county courthouse on the third floor, next to the county clerks office, where people have been voting since September. This wasn’t done to intimidate voters. And our county’s black residents are, unfortunately, minuscule. I wish we were more diverse, but we aren’t.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread