HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Minnesota (Group) » Your candidate dropped ou...

Fri Feb 14, 2020, 09:18 PM

Your candidate dropped out? In Minnesota, it's not too late to change your vote

(snip)

So what happens if you voted early and picked a candidate no longer in the race? Or if you change your mind as the race evolves? Can you get a redo on your vote?

The answer, according to state election officials, is yes. Minnesota state law allows voters to pull back their absentee ballots until close of business on Feb. 25, a week before Election Day itself.

“One little-known, rarely used option for folks is that people who have already cast their absentee ballots can request from their county’s auditor or clerk that their ballot be ‘spoiled,’ and cast a new one, “ said Risikat Adesaogun, a spokeswoman for Secretary of State Steve Simon.

And if you do cast a ballot for a now-withdrawn candidate and don’t take it back? Adesaogun said the Secretary of State’s office will count and report “all the votes they get — even votes for candidates who drop out” on Election Day.

“From there, it’s up to the parties to determine how to treat those votes,” she said.

http://www.startribune.com/your-candidate-drop-out-it-s-not-too-late-to-change-your-vote/567843162/

2 replies, 298 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Your candidate dropped out? In Minnesota, it's not too late to change your vote (Original post)
question everything Feb 14 OP
samnsara Feb 14 #1
GemDigger Feb 14 #2

Response to question everything (Original post)

Fri Feb 14, 2020, 10:00 PM

1. wow! My state is all mail in and we can send them in as soon as we recieve the ballots..

...about 2 weeks before the election. I wonder if this applies to other states?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to samnsara (Reply #1)

Fri Feb 14, 2020, 10:46 PM

2. I always wait until the last minute to make out my ballot.

Then I hand deliver them to the polling place on election day.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread