Fri Jan 4, 2013, 04:59 PM
rurallib (43,898 posts)
Schultz pushing to implement anti-Latino voting rule
this is the way i phrased it in an email last night. Looks like we will be one of those states that has rules on the books against minorities:
So let me see if I got this right:
1) Schultz tried to impose his version of the "suppress the vote" targeting "immigrant" sounding names - Latino specifically
2) His method is to match a questionable Federal report (SAVE) to an Iowa list of non-citizen drivers. The only match is by name and the list could be as much as 5 years out of date.
3) He tried to implement before election and Tom Courtney raised enough of a stink that he backed off.
4) Knowing this change would not make it through the legislature he is trying to install it as a "rule."
a) as a "rule" the legislature must specifically rescind it, else it stands
1) given the split in the legislature with the House mostly ALEC and this being the ALEC desired outcome, rescission also unlikely
5) Other way to stop is through the court - hard to guess outcome with the new "Branstad" court.
a) LULAC and ACLU have filed to stop.
6) (my surmise) Schultz is ALEC's fair haired boy and will do whatever they want and expects reward.
5 replies, 1437 views
Schultz pushing to implement anti-Latino voting rule (Original post)
Response to rurallib (Original post)
Sat Jan 5, 2013, 01:11 PM
Bluzmann57 (12,336 posts)
1. So my wife, who is a LEGAL immigrant
and who is bound and determined to become a citizen may not be able to vote even after she becomes a citizen because of some stupid bs rule?! Grr..... Schultz must be defeated!
Response to Bluzmann57 (Reply #1)
Sun Jan 6, 2013, 01:05 PM
rurallib (43,898 posts)
2. Not sure how to answer.
Were she to match on the two lists - which I would guess she may - she would then be given some time (60 days I think) to prove that she is a citizen. Not sure if that would be to the local auditor or would require a trip to Des Moines.
Funny they aren't picking on guys named Joe Smith
Response to progressoid (Reply #4)
Mon Jan 7, 2013, 11:06 PM
47of74 (14,155 posts)
5. A lot of these young reich wingers set off that alarm in me...
It's their total lack of compassion for their fellow human beings, their arrogance sense of entitlement, and their overall general nastiness. Along with the either vacant or cruel look in their eyes when they look into the camera.