HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » California (Group) » Column: As an L.A. newcom...

Fri May 8, 2020, 05:11 PM

Column: As an L.A. newcomer, I adored Souplantation. I'm grieving its closing

The Los Angeles food scene is renowned for its richness and diversity. So when I moved here from New York in September 2018, I hoped to eventually find my way around the region through its cuisines, inspired by the example of the beloved critic Jonathan Gold, who had died two months earlier.

Instead I discovered Souplantation.

This soup-and-salad restaurant chain with its no-nonsense buffet-style offerings and family-friendly seating sustained me on many nights when I was too tired to cook. The wonton chicken salad was my standby. I relished the soups the bacon bits in the Yankee clam chowder, the robust minestrone, the sweet and tart French onion soup.

A native New Yorker, I was unfamiliar with Souplantation, and only today, upon learning of its closing, am I learning of its origins. The first Souplantation opened in San Diego in 1978, founded by a surfer; the chain expanded in the mid-1980s, after it was acquired by two young entrepreneurs. It weathered an E. coli outbreak and a bankruptcy filing, growing to 97 locations and 4,400 employees at the time of its closure this week due to the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.latimes.com/food/story/2020-05-07/souplantation-closing-los-angeles

3 replies, 626 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Column: As an L.A. newcomer, I adored Souplantation. I'm grieving its closing (Original post)
Zorro May 2020 OP
alwaysinasnit May 2020 #1
radical noodle May 2020 #2
Susan Calvin May 2020 #3

Response to Zorro (Original post)

Fri May 8, 2020, 05:23 PM

1. Oh no. Whenever I visited my son in Southern CA, this was my restaurant of choice.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri May 8, 2020, 05:30 PM

2. It's Sweet Tomatoes

here in Florida. We had one just a few blocks away. It was one of my favorite places and always busy.

Reply to this post

Fri May 8, 2020, 05:55 PM

3. I remember Souplantation from the early days.

Just like I remember Cirque du Soleil from the early days. It's sweet tomatoes where I am now and I will miss it so much.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread