HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Arts & Humanities » Photography (Group) » I had a thought.

Tue Apr 12, 2022, 09:04 PM

I had a thought.

Does anyone remember the very first photograph that they ever took? I still have mine...

This was taken at Jamestown, VA in 1974. My class had gone on a field trip to the site and my mother had given me the only camera we had, which was her Kodak X-15 Instamatic. (We were about poor and this was an amazing thing. Not only did she let me take the camera, they bought a roll of film for me to use.) The entire roll, excepting this image, came out blurry. (I was ten at the time, so not a surprise.) I have no idea if the Jamestown site even looks like this anymore. But, I thought that I might start the ball rolling. How about the rest of you? Do you remember your first foray into photography? Do you still have it? Share yours now!

9 replies, 467 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to OldBaldy1701E (Original post)

Tue Apr 12, 2022, 09:09 PM

1. Not a chance I could remember that. I started taking pictures when I was about three

I was in the dark room printing them practically before I started school. I probably knew what an F-stop was before I could even read. No doubt my first picture was of a cat.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Walleye (Reply #1)

Wed Apr 13, 2022, 12:35 AM

3. Wow. Your parents had a darkroom at your house?

That would have been very cool to have. I never got the chance to mess with development of film. I bet it was fun.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 12, 2022, 11:08 PM

2. I don't have the image anymore but my older sister

had me do cheesecake pics in short shorts with the Kodak Brownie 120. It must have been 1956 or so and I was about 7. They turned out pretty nice for a '50s country girl trying to be sexy.

Didn't really get into photography 'till 1969 when I bought a Canon QL17 from a fellow GI who was dabbling in amateur pharmacology. After that it was all downhill . . .

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 13, 2022, 12:38 AM

4. I don't have the photo any more, but an uncle let me take a picture of my pony when I

was little, using his new fangled Polaroid! I remember back in the 60s, you had to rub some smelly chemical on the photo after it developed? A couple years later Pop got me a cheap Kodak camera and I remember dropping off film at the ol' Fotomat booths!

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 13, 2022, 02:05 AM

5. I remember taking pictures at summer camp when I was about seven or eight.

I think I still have one or two somewhere.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 14, 2022, 08:51 AM

6. I'm calling this one as mine, from the 1964 World's Fair

Reply to this post

Response to HAB911 (Reply #6)

Thu Apr 14, 2022, 09:08 AM

7. I take it you saw several 'cars of the future'? (n/t)

Reply to this post

Response to OldBaldy1701E (Reply #7)

Thu Apr 14, 2022, 09:34 AM

8. Sure did! I have only 3 surviving photos

along with the Bell System building! I have a few from DC that I have yet to add to this gallery, the capitol and Arlington as soon as I can get to it.

https://jamesdevore.smugmug.com/60-YEAR-JOURNEY-IN-PHOTOGRAPHY/FIRST-PHOTOS-1964-WORLDS-FAIR

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 14, 2022, 12:02 PM

9. My first camera was a half-frame

Oddly, that format is about the size of a new APS-C sensor. 1970 or 1971, IIRC.

This is one of the first, if not the first. No date stamps on the slides.

A little blurry, since I shot this from a print, but the original slide is in my collection, AND I lucked into a used Nikon bellows with slide holder yesterday in great shape, meaning that I don't have to scan or send out most slides.

I estimate that a 35mm. slide is "worth" 24 megapixels or so.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread