HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Arts & Humanities » Photography (Group) » Last chance: memento mori...

Sun May 23, 2021, 06:49 AM

Last chance: memento mori images created with animal skulls

In the Tradition: Memento Exstingui, a project by the photographer Michele Turriani, draws attention to the plight of endangered animals that appear on the IUCN red list. It is inspired by the ‘memento mori’ and ‘vanitas’ art genres, which remind us of the transience of life and the inevitability of death. The skulls come from the Powell-Cotton Museum in Kent

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/gallery/2021/may/22/last-chance-to-see-photographer-endangered-species-memento-mori-paintings-aoe

2 replies, 419 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Last chance: memento mori images created with animal skulls (Original post)
MichaelSoE May 23 OP
AndyS May 23 #1
CaliforniaPeggy May 23 #2

Response to MichaelSoE (Original post)

Sun May 23, 2021, 09:52 AM

1. Beautifully done. There is a Japanese art tradition called Wabi Sabi

that embraces the concept of fleeting temporary beauty and the imperfections of life. This work so reminds me of that, that life is temporary and the world is indeed imperfect.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to MichaelSoE (Original post)

Sun May 23, 2021, 11:40 AM

2. Thank you so much, my dear MichaelSoE, for bringing this amazing collection here!

Stunning photos, showing us all too plainly how we are busy ravaging our environment for our selfish greed.

We pay little or no attention to what we're doing to our own, shared heritage.

Alas.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread