HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Arts & Humanities » Photography (Group) » Story behind the iconic L...

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 08:28 AM

Story behind the iconic Lunch Atop a Skyscraper photo

Short and worth a watch. Clearly dedicated photographers. I can't imagine taking photos at that height (no safety gear) and then having to switch out the glass plates.

It's especially sad that no one really knows the names of the men in the photos!

?rel=0

3 replies, 442 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Story behind the iconic Lunch Atop a Skyscraper photo (Original post)
Callalily Feb 2018 OP
hlthe2b Feb 2018 #1
John1956PA Feb 2018 #2
liberal N proud Feb 2018 #3

Response to Callalily (Original post)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 09:06 AM

1. ohhh, even the "still shot" makes me anxious. I could NEVER sit there like that.

Great piece. thanks!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Callalily (Original post)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 09:26 AM

2. The beam was suspended about 10 feet above a deck.

From http://wackulus.com/how-charles-c-ebbets-captured-this-iconic-shot-it-was-staged/ :

The men on this photo were working on the construction of the 69th floor. When these buildings were constructed, they were laid out a floor at a time, meaning that if they were working on the 69th floor, that the 68th beams were in and at least a wooden substructure was in place for workers to stand on. On most floors, this would simply mean that if the men fell toward the building they would only fall a story, but if they fell backwards they would tumble down all of the way to the street.

However, the 67th floor is one of the floors that had a roof above it. This roof essentially lined up with the 68th floor. Because of this, the 69th floor actually didnít extend nearly as far as the 68th floor, meaning that these workers would have only fallen 10 feet or so because landing on the next floor.

This doesnít take away from the photo and the ability of the photographer to capture the spirit of the times, but it does mean that these workers were relatively safe while taking this picture.

Reply to this post

Response to John1956PA (Reply #2)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 11:01 AM

3. Even that would be 10 - 12 foot fall

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread