HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Arts & Humanities » Photography (Group) » Come snorkeling with me -...

Sun Aug 18, 2013, 02:17 AM

Come snorkeling with me - it's my first time - so it's a lot of photos

I took my Olympus tough along, and the ride out was rough, family members at first said they would never do this again, and then decided we had actually had a great adventure.

We learned that folks who wanted to have the boat turn and take them back would have to foot the bill for all on board to have that happen, and that some did just that in the past. It's a big boat and the bill can be about 4 grand, they told me.

I'm posting many shots, helter-skelter, just so you can think you really came along. Please stay away from the jelly fish. I couldn't so two of them got me, and I came out of the water sooner than I would have otherwise. It ended up not being a big deal, a few welts, and after a while the stinging ended.
I should have stayed in the water longer

10 replies, 1667 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Come snorkeling with me - it's my first time - so it's a lot of photos (Original post)
Mira Aug 2013 OP
Solly Mack Aug 2013 #1
Locut0s Aug 2013 #2
Callalily Aug 2013 #3
Scuba Aug 2013 #4
liberal N proud Aug 2013 #5
alfredo Aug 2013 #6
Laura PourMeADrink Aug 2013 #7
Mira Aug 2013 #8
bluedigger Aug 2013 #9
CC Aug 2013 #10

Response to Mira (Original post)

Sun Aug 18, 2013, 03:05 AM

1. Great shots! What fun!

Sorry 'bout the stings!

I love the 2nd photo with the jellyfish.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Aug 18, 2013, 05:32 AM

2. O.M.F.G I love snorkelling!....

Fantastic shots here! I first did real snorkelling on The Big Island, Hawaii, some years ago and I've been hooked every since! Been snorkelling in Belize and back in Hawaii again since then. Can't get enough!! I absolutely love love love swimming with all that colourful sea life (sea turtles are so amazing to swim with). I'm seriously thinking of taking up diving next.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 18, 2013, 07:45 AM

3. Wonderful shots! Looks like

the boat ride was worth it.

I've seen jellyfish while diving, but none quite at big as the one in your photo. In June I had the marvelous opportunity to snorkel with whale sharks (docile animals). That truly was an experience of a lifetime!

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 18, 2013, 08:15 AM

4. Thanks for posting, love the jellies, but the diver's code stipulates that you must never ...

... take pictures of anybody's butt while they're trying to get up the ladder!

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 18, 2013, 10:33 AM

5. So that's what my butt looks like under water.

Great pics, wish I could snorkel.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 18, 2013, 11:59 AM

6. Very good.

When I snorkeled, I came face to face with a Moray Eel. After that I was rather shy about snooping around coral reefs.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 18, 2013, 07:41 PM

7. Why weren't you home worry about the problems of the world !!!

LOL

Looks FABULOUS Mira ! Where is it ?

Reply to this post

Response to Laura PourMeADrink (Reply #7)

Sun Aug 18, 2013, 08:03 PM

8. It's in the middle Florida Keys

Marathon.
Where I'm glad I'm a white little old lady because we're lucky enough to be in a fancy gated community for free (utterly out of our element), and as all of you know I go everywhere and snoop around, not asking permission while being adept and experienced in begging forgiveness.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 21, 2013, 01:16 PM

9. Very cool!

Great shots of the jellyfish - try to avoid the close up next time, though. I'm glad you are using the camera so much.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 21, 2013, 03:24 PM

10. Looks like fun

and love the photos. The jellyfish is my fav partly because I'm not sure I would of chanced getting stung but mostly because it is just a beautiful shot. Just in case, non-sudsy ammonia and warm water soak works wonders on their stings. Windex in a pinch works ok. Terry got tangled up in a Portuguese man o' war in Cocoa Beach years ago and that is what the emergency clinic doctor soaked his arm in. Told us the ammonia counteracts the chemicals for all the jellies, the man o' wars and bug bites. Took years for the burn marks to finally fade away to nothing but he said he'll never forget the burning and how it all but stopped the minute the doctor put his arms in the ammonia water.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread