HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Entertainment » Music Appreciation (Group) » Left wing double entendre

Fri Jan 24, 2020, 09:41 AM

Left wing double entendre

Left wing double entendre: One-Way to get around censorship is the methodology of “Double Entendre”. It was done in 19-century literature to get around church dogma. In the 20th century it was used to use for lyrics about sex and drugs starting with Bessie Smiths 1931 song: I need a little sugar in my bowl. It sounds innocent enough but it’s not. If you remark what the lyrics really means then you are accused of having a dirty mind. So this passive/aggressive method of being nasty is very Anglo-Saxon. It all died in the early 70’s when bands just blurted it out! Hey Baby! Let’s F- -K!
In the 60’s, radio was pretty conservative. So conservative that they accused songs having a secret message, so it was pulled off the air. The Beatles 1966 song “Yellow Submarine” was accused of being about going an acid trip. That was the Gavin report. Read all about it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Report
In order to have a protest song that would have been indicted as Anti-American, they had to disguise it as a love song. The Canadian band “Guess Who” had a 1970 double entendre song called: American Woman. You think it was about this Canadian guy who was avoiding having a relationship this American woman. Nah! It was about Canada not wanting to be like the USA. Another song “See link below” was Don McLean’s 1971 song “Everybody love me” This you think it was about this arrogant guy who has sex with every woman he meets. Nope! The song is about America!
Censorship has eased up; there are less of these songs. Thank Buddha!

My Blog
https://stephenjaymorrisblog.tumblr.com/

1 replies, 202 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Left wing double entendre (Original post)
Koch Ebola Jan 24 OP
CaptYossarian Jan 24 #1

Response to Koch Ebola (Original post)

Fri Jan 24, 2020, 11:34 AM

1. It got to the point where we had to play the records backward.

Thank you, Tipper Gore.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread