HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Arts & Humanities » Artists (Group) » A painting of one of our ...

Tue Jun 30, 2020, 09:12 AM

A painting of one of our tiger lilies

https://markdomincreative.blogspot.com

10 replies, 431 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply A painting of one of our tiger lilies (Original post)
bif Jun 30 OP
Alliepoo Jun 30 #1
Star-Thrower Jun 30 #2
bif Jun 30 #5
GreenPartyVoter Jun 30 #3
I_UndergroundPanther Jun 30 #4
bif Jul 1 #6
lunatica Jul 1 #7
bif Jul 1 #8
lunatica Jul 1 #9
bif Jul 2 #10

Response to bif (Original post)

Tue Jun 30, 2020, 09:21 AM

1. Bright and beautiful!

Love your painting of the oranges, too!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jun 30, 2020, 09:40 AM

2. Have you tried

cross pollination? It's fun trying to come up with a new variety or color etc. I used to do it with Lilium species though it can take a couple of years to see the result it is a satisfying endeavor.

Reply to this post

Response to Star-Thrower (Reply #2)

Tue Jun 30, 2020, 11:37 AM

5. I haven't.

Im one of the laziest gardeners on the planet. Just ask my wife. And we have so many tiger lilies, I think they would just dominate anything I tried to cross pollinate with.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 30, 2020, 10:14 AM

3. Yummy, rich colors!

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 30, 2020, 11:17 AM

4. Pretty

I love tiger lillies . Your painting captures what I like about them.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 1, 2020, 08:02 AM

6. Thanks all!

It's aways nice to get feedback from the group!

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 1, 2020, 02:57 PM

7. Your paintings are getting incredibly refined and complex

in a really fascinating and compelling way! I get excited every time I see youíve posted something because Iím guaranteed a very pleasant chunk of time to study and enjoy your paintings.

Your painting come across, on first sight, as brilliantly colored, simple, straight forward and clear depictions of whatever youíre painting. But as you get better in your technique your paintings are becoming quite nuanced and complex which I can see when I take the time to look. Your paintings are worth studying because they yield lovely visual prizes.

Your Tiger Lily Just bursts like an explosion going in all directions with radiating straight lines running off the page with bold brush strokes in the petals and the background. These lines and shapes have a somewhat primitive look and feel. But then you really concentrate on the heart of the flower, which you give detailed and subtle aspects that are quite refined and subtle. Youíve mentioned having some trouble with yellows, but youíve managed to show quite an evolved manner of using it to great benefit. The way you deal with the stamens and the yellow base of the petals gives them such a delicate feel with the graceful shapes emanating from the central point of the flower. The effect is lovely and subtle and very rewarding to look at.

The Sidewalk Selfie has a quirky and playful feel about it with all the elements coming together to make it so. All the parts are placed on the canvas in a geometrical crisscrossed fashion that youíve put in relationship to each other in a way that creates visual tension thatís insisting on getting the viewerís attention because of your delightful shadow interrupting all the straight lines and right angles. The effect is a feeling of playfulness and fun, which reminds me of how our shadows caught our attention when we were children, but that as we grow older the magical quality of it fades. Itís really nice that seeing your painting reminded me of the wonder and fun of childhood.

Oranges Are The New Orange. Iíve decided youíre becoming a master of the many qualities of light, shadows and reflections and the interplay of the differences in them. You show how each one of these elements are completely unique in their relationship to light. In this painting you depict all of them interacting together to great effect. Your artistís discovery of the amazing qualities of the highly reflective granite surface is spectacular. A painting of a still life of oranges and cherry tomatoes has become a painting of how light works on different objects. Visually it is stunning. Your light source is coming from the top of the canvas and lighting up the top edges of the fruit, the tomatoes and the bowl, which in itself is also reflective with the same qualities as the light source. You use your slightly slanted geometric lines and blocks of forms which are a reflection and the rounded shapes of the fruit and bowl to great effect. Your light source is both highlighting the soft absorbent shapes as well as becoming an integral part of the painting by reflecting itself, AND itís source. So the viewer can see the source of the light, which is the reflection of the window on the granite as well as the lit up rectangular shape of the light flooding on the surface of the granite which is shining on the orange and casting itís shadow on the surface too. I hope this doesnít sound like gibberish because I really am appreciating what I see and Iím aware that language can confuse the issue! Though there is more to point out along the same vein I would like to mention one note more. Up to now Iíve written about the qualities of the light as it pertains to how it highlights objects as well as how it and itís source interact with the granite surface, but the way the bowl handle is both a reflection of the bowl and turns into a shadow of the bowl is an outstanding detail. The angle shows itís something only the viewer can see because of the direction of sight. All the other reflections are from the light source, but the reflected bowl handle comes from the the way light bounces off the reflecting surface of the bowl. Itís a reflection of a reflection. Really cool!

Small Addendum: your latest depiction of a camera and itís camera case with the simple yellow pattern background background show you know how to use yellow to great effect. I love your cameras!

Reply to this post

Response to lunatica (Reply #7)

Wed Jul 1, 2020, 05:14 PM

8. Wow! Thank you so much!

Your insight once again, has me speechless! And as I've mentioned before, motivates me to do better every time I paint!

My biggest problem with some colors, especially yellow, is the coverage. I find myself having to paint several layers, which takes a bit of the spontaneity out of painting. But, it does force me to plan ahead. Which is a good thing.

I'm learning, one painting at a time!

Reply to this post

Response to bif (Reply #8)

Wed Jul 1, 2020, 06:08 PM

9. You're doing great!

When I painted the yellow leaves on the tree I had to do the same thing. It takes many layers. It wasnít an easy yellow to paint because of the lightness of the color and the shade. If it had been the warmer cadmium yellow maybe it would have been easier. The Golden Green color was what kind of saved it. I just got stubborn about it. I ended up being OK with it in the end.

Reply to this post

Response to lunatica (Reply #9)

Thu Jul 2, 2020, 03:39 PM

10. Again, thank you for the kind words!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread