HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Arts & Humanities » Artists (Group) » Looking for ideas for hum...

Tue Oct 15, 2019, 06:42 AM

Looking for ideas for humorous paintings

My latest is "Still Life with Mr. Potato Head".

https://markdomincreative.blogspot.com

Open to suggestions for future paintings.

7 replies, 386 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Looking for ideas for humorous paintings (Original post)
bif Oct 2019 OP
Cracklin Charlie Oct 2019 #1
lunatica Oct 2019 #2
bif Oct 2019 #3
lunatica Oct 2019 #4
bif Oct 2019 #5
lunatica Oct 2019 #6
bif Nov 24 #7

Response to bif (Original post)

Tue Oct 15, 2019, 09:01 AM

1. My daughter used to do some funny paintings.

She once did one of those old timey oval painted wooden portraits of an old timey couple.

Only thing was, and you had to look close...old timey lady was sporting a mustache!

She also did a funny one of a smiling skeleton with a bow in itís hair! This, way before the skeletonís recent popularity. Kids at her school would have her screen print them custom shirts.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Oct 15, 2019, 12:34 PM

2. I don't have any suggestions other than

maybe some Halloween or Day of The Dead theme. Maybe the colorfully made up skeleton figures. But I do want to say your use of color is really gorgeous! It just pulls your eyes right in and makes you linger for a really rewarding visual experience.

Thanks!

Reply to this post

Response to lunatica (Reply #2)

Wed Oct 16, 2019, 06:23 AM

3. Thanks for the compliments!

I'm trying to teach myself how to paint. I painted a long time ago. And then quit for about 20 years. I just took it back up this springtime, and have been at it almost every day. It's so challenging and rewarding. I learn something new all the time.

Reply to this post

Response to bif (Reply #3)

Wed Oct 16, 2019, 12:43 PM

4. That's really wonderful news.

I love it when people take it up again. Iíve gone through many years of not painting because life got in the way and when I came back to it I had somehow advanced in my artistic ability. I learned that artists always develop their skills and talent even when they donít use them. All you have to do is look at the world through your artistís eyes, and look at art from others for inspiration.

Iím retired now and finally able to paint whenever I feel like it. Like you Iím in the adventure of literally discovering what has always been there. What Iíve been developing even without knowing it. Just keep painting. You have a delightful visual quality and a true sense of color.

Reply to this post

Response to lunatica (Reply #4)

Thu Oct 17, 2019, 10:46 AM

5. I'm turning 65 next week

And am pretty much retired. Not by choice, but at this point, it's hard to land a job in advertising. They only want young kids. So I have lots of time on my hands.

It's great to get positive feedback on my work. You just sort of paint in a vacuum, not knowing if your work is any good. It's encouraging when people other than your immediate family tell you it's not half bad. Thanks again!

Reply to this post

Response to bif (Reply #5)

Thu Oct 17, 2019, 12:52 PM

6. You're welcome!

I feel the same way about feedback.

I like very much how your paintings tell a story also. My advice is just keep painting.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 24, 2019, 09:57 AM

7. "Barbie Car Joy Ride." One of my latest paintings.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread