HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Recreation » EBay, Collectors, Flea Market & Antiques (Group) » Has anyone ever seen an o...

Tue Jul 14, 2015, 12:21 PM

Has anyone ever seen an old pipe wrench like this before?

All I can find on it is MERIT then below that it says Stillson Wrench. The other side just has a little box that says "GUARANTEED", and it has the number "14" stamped in 2 places on each side:

I have tried Google and found some different ones, but none that say "MERIT". I also found that Daniel Stillson was the inventor of the "Stillson Wrench", more commonly known as a pipe wrench today.

Thanks in advance,

Peace,

Ghost

6 replies, 7099 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Ghost in the Machine (Original post)

Tue Jul 14, 2015, 12:30 PM

1. Yes I have one similar (different markings of course). As you point out it's a "Stillson wrench".

The early version of the current "pipe wrench".

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to PoliticAverse (Reply #1)

Tue Jul 14, 2015, 12:47 PM

2. Thanks... the Idea just struck me to look for MERIT tools, and I found that they were made by

Craftsman for Sears like back in the 30's... trying to find out if it has any value. I was thinking about putting it on Ebay, along with a 10.5" Diamond Tool & Horseshoe Co. flat edged grip/pipe wrench # C-711

Peace,

Ghost

Reply to this post

Response to Ghost in the Machine (Original post)

Tue Jul 14, 2015, 12:48 PM

3. I have one very similar - handed down from my granddad. I'll have to check the markings tho.. nt

Reply to this post

Response to jonno99 (Reply #3)

Sun Jul 19, 2015, 11:00 PM

4. I'm sorry, I just saw your post, apologies for the delay in replying....

Did you get to look at the markings yet?

Peace,

Ghost

Reply to this post

Response to Ghost in the Machine (Reply #4)

Mon Jul 20, 2015, 08:14 AM

5. Ah - sorry, the whole thought totally left my brain! I'll make a note to take a look

when I get home.

Reply to this post

Response to jonno99 (Reply #5)

Mon Jul 20, 2015, 10:22 AM

6. It's no biggie, I have been seeing them for $10-$15 on Ebay....

Upthread, I posted that I found out that Merit used to make tools for Craftsman & Sears & Roebuck. You would think that would make them worth a little more, but I guess not. The Diamond Tool and Horseshoe Co. 10.5" wrench that I have was selling for around $25!

What surprised me was, after my 2nd neck surgery & being told I couldn't ever work again, I was looking up Spud Wrenches on Ebay, and sold a couple of mine for $65 each... I picked them up at a garage sale for $5 each! I had all kinds of Ironworking tools.

I had some of my grandfather's old pipefitting tools, but lost them to Hurricane Andrew. I would cherish those if I still had them, especially since I never met him, he died when my dad was 16.

Peace,

Ghost

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread