HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » Fox Lands Black Superhero...

Thu Sep 8, 2016, 08:11 PM

Fox Lands Black Superhero Drama From Greg Berlanti, Salim and Mara Brock Akil

"Fox may soon be adding another DC Comics character to its roster.

The network has given a pilot production commitment to Black Lightning, the black superhero drama from prolific superhero series producer Greg Berlanti, and The Game's Salim and Mara Brock Akil, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

One of DC Comics' first major African-American superheroes, Black Lightning was created by Tony Isabella and Trevor Von Eeden and debuted in 1977. The hourlong drama will center on Jefferson Pierce, who hung up his suit and his secret identity years ago. However, with a daughter hell-bent on justice and a star student being recruited by a local gang, he'll be pulled back into the fight as the wanted vigilante and DC legend Black Lightning.

The Akils will write and exec produce the project with Berlanti and his producing partner Sarah Schechter. Their respective banners, Akil Productions and Berlanti Productions, will produce in association with Warner Bros. TV.

Black Superhero Drama From Greg Berlanti, Salim and Mara Brock Akil in the Works
Should Black Lightning be picked up, it would be the first broadcast series to feature an African-American superhero as its lead. Netflix, of course, has Marvel drama Luke Cage premiering at the end of the month.

Black Lightning could potentially join the Fox's other DC Comics-inspired drama, Gotham, which centers on a young Bruce Wayne and features other characters from the Batman comics including Catwoman, Penguin and Poison Ivy. Fox also has sophomore drama Lucifer, which is based on a character from DC Comics' Vertigo imprint."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fox-lands-black-lightning-project-926678

/revision/latest?cb=20090116172924

While not my favorite character I still have some Black Lightning comics. I hope it turns out good!

5 replies, 758 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Fox Lands Black Superhero Drama From Greg Berlanti, Salim and Mara Brock Akil (Original post)
NWCorona Sep 2016 OP
RandySF Sep 2016 #1
NWCorona Sep 2016 #2
RandySF Sep 2016 #3
NWCorona Sep 2016 #4
SwankyXomb Sep 2016 #5

Response to NWCorona (Original post)

Thu Sep 8, 2016, 08:14 PM

1. I'm upset

Fox already f'd up Gotham and Lucifer.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to RandySF (Reply #1)

Thu Sep 8, 2016, 08:16 PM

2. Lucifer sucked but I actually like Gotham. It could definitely be better tho and needs to get back o

Track.

I'm excited that Fish is back!

Reply to this post

Response to NWCorona (Reply #2)

Thu Sep 8, 2016, 08:54 PM

3. Black Lightning is important to me.

Detective Cmics was a thick comic back in the day with multiple character stories and Black Lightning was the one I looked forward to the most.

Reply to this post

Response to RandySF (Reply #3)

Thu Sep 8, 2016, 10:28 PM

4. I feel you there! I was all about Black Panther and Luke Cage

And didn't really get into DC until later. I couldn't wait until the next issue dropped and I always bought two. One to read and one to save.

I'm stoked that Misty Knight will be getting some love too on Netflix.

Reply to this post

Response to RandySF (Reply #3)

Fri Sep 9, 2016, 12:58 AM

5. Back when Detective was a Dollar Comic

It had actually been cancelled, but someone pointed out that you really can't drop the title the company's named after, so they merged it with Batman Family.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread